diy solar

diy solar

Renogy 60amp MPPT Question

monsterdeer

Out west--where men are men and sheep are nervous
I am old and stupid. I spent a lot of time trying to find instructions on the internet to set this Renogy 60amp MPT to 400amh hours. But I am still clueless. When this unit was installed some guy programmed this for three 100amp LIFEPO4 batteries. I now have added a fourth 100amp LIFEPO4 battery three weeks after I installed the previous three batteries (same battery as the three already installed). At the current settings my Renogy battery monitor looks like the fourth battery is not being recognized. For 3 batteries everything is copesthetic. So is there a way to program this MPPT controller for 400 amp hours of batteries? If so can you please give me directions that a moron and/or an idiot can follow. For example: Step one hit right arrow key. Step 2 hit?????
Note: Some day you will get old and hopefully not stupid. For us who are old and stupid we need very simple easy to follow instructions. Thanks and may the force be with you...................

you need to change the battery capacity setting on the Monitor instead.

Preset capacity and voltage setting:

1. Press the
    Ok Icon
    key for 3s to enter setting menu;
  2. Click
    Up Arrow Icon
    or
    Down Arrow Icon
    key to select the setting items:
    • CAP—Preset capacity: An initial capacity has been set at the factory, please set it according to the real capacity of your battery.
  3. Select CAP and click the
    Ok Icon
    key to enter the preset capacity setting; The set value will flicker, click the
    Ok Icon
    key can select other values, click the
    Up Arrow Icon
    or
    Down Arrow Icon
    key to select the correct values after this click the
    Previous Icon
    key to quit preset capacity setting.
  4. We can set other items with the same method as preset capacity. When all the items are set and all the values are correct, click the
    Previous Icon
    key to save the set and quit the setting menu.
Set capacity to zero or full:

On first use or change of the battery bank, the memory capacity should be set zero or full: In the main interface, hold the
Down Arrow Icon
key for 3s to set the capacity zero, the percentage will be 0%; hold the
Up Arrow Icon
key for 3s to set the capacity full, the percentage will be 100%.

Read more: https://manuals.plus/renogy/rbm500-ca-battery-monitor-manual#ixzz8QkL45H3i

I did change the battery monitor. When I did, the battery monitor said my set of 4 batteries was around 75% even though all 4 batteries were charged to 100% with a lithium battery charger. This puzzles me because before I added the extra battery the battery monitor said the 3 batteries were 100%. I just thought there was a setting to change on the MPPT. My voltmeter measured 13.6 volts at the output of the MPPT, at the output of the inline fuse, at the input to the set of batteries, at each battery, and at the positive of battery 1 to the negative of battery 4.

Just to confirm, did you do the below step (again) after adding the new battery and bank fully charged?

Set capacity to zero or full:

On first use or change of the battery bank, the memory capacity should be set zero or full: In the main interface, hold the
Down Arrow Icon

key for 3s to set the capacity zero, the percentage will be 0%; hold the
Up Arrow Icon

key for 3s to set the capacity full, the percentage will be 100%.

The reason why I asked about programming the MPPT is because the company who made the batteries said this: "Since you have already verified that the voltages of the 4 batteries are normal and they work fine in this scenario, it suggests that the MPPT may not be able to recognize the voltage of all 4 battery packs together. Check the instructions of your MPPT to see if it has over-voltage protection that could prevent it from recognizing the 4 battery packs."

Back