diy solar

diy solar

Run multiple 48v to 12v converters in parallel?

mberding

I currently have a 48v primary system in my RV, and it's working great. I also have a 48v to 12v converter which supplies me with 12v for things like lights, water pump, etc.

I've been adding more 12v stuff, and I have plans to add significantly more, such that I'll be beyond the rated capacity of the converter. Can I run a couple of these converters in parallel, assuming my wire sizing is sufficient? To me, this seems like it should work but I'd love to get a couple other opinions.

Thanks!

You can but it's not as straight forward as you might think. The voltages out of those boost converters would need to be very closely matched to ensure one doesn't carry most of the load and from experience you'll be hard pressed to buy two that are matched. This can be addressed with load balancing resistors but at the current those things are rated at this means pretty hefty resistors and it all becomes pretty unwieldy quickly.

My advice would be to get a single larger output device, or split the wiring into 2 circuits if possible. See if anyone else on the forum comes up with any suggestions too.

Yeah, I figured it wouldn't be quite that easy. I do have the option of splitting up the loads into different circuits, which I'll probably do.

I have found a single converter that can handle the necessary loads, but it doesn't have an isolated ground for each side of the conversion, and that just seems strange/wrong to me. From what research I've done, I think it'll work fine, it's just my personal distaste for a common ground that's making me look for other options.

That's a pretty cool unit! Might keep it in mind if I need it for another project.

I'm either going to go with a couple of isolated 30-amp converters, or just buy the 60-amp non-isolated converter and deal with it.

Back