diy solar

diy solar

running my spring off of Solar

I assume with this statement there is currently an AC pump doing this job. What are its specs.
No, there was a shallow well pump in line with a pressure tank. This was an AC current pump on the grid. I was simply wanting to not hook to the grid

It's specs will not be convenient to replace with PV DC. Something like 1/3 HP induction motor and centrifugal pump.
It will also be way overkill for the needed flow and pressure.
I am thinking pressures, inclines, volume..... What the pump can do.

While not exactly the same,
My Mountain Spring flows out of the ground between 6-10 gal/min. I have that captured into an intermediate 350 gallon tank. Over flowing to ground downhill anything not used.
Within the 350 gallon intermediate tank is a 220v 3/4HP well pump, manual switch to pump contents of 350 gallon tank - 1800 gallon tank uphill, higher than house. Gravity flow 100% from 1800 gallon tank TO House plumbing.
I refill large tank (2) times a month, about 4-5 hours.
Its worked well over 10 years. Self installed.
My solar system easily runs the well pump as needed.

Can anyone tell me the most economical way to pump water from my spring to my house? the Spring comes directly up from the ground (not out of the side of a hill) so no downhill to possibly run a ram pump!! The reservoir is approximately 3 feet deep in a box 4 by 4 ft. the house is about 300 feet from the spring on a slight uphill grade. I would say less than a 10-foot rise in the elevation. The spring use to have a shallow well pump in line running on the grid. I was wanting to use a similar pump but run off solar. Any advice would be appreciated.
Telling us about your power use may help get an answer that works better in terms of the bigger picture. Can the AC shallow water pump still be used?

He described not having drop for ram pump.
I'm wondering what happens to the water he doesn't use.

Ram might be good for irrigation etc. with continuous flow needs.

If I had enough flow for ram, I'd set up a micro hydro generator to power the house. Use a little bit of the power for a water pump.
The spring water slowly flowed into a creek
Is the house to be off grid? Or just the pump?
the goal is the house be off grid.

Telling us about your power use may help get an answer that works better in terms of the bigger picture. Can the AC shallow water pump still be used?
The ac pump needs to be replaced. Very old and not working. It was used up to about 8 years ago. Again, my goal is to not hook to the grid for the water pump or for the house totally!

While not exactly the same,
My Mountain Spring flows out of the ground between 6-10 gal/min. I have that captured into an intermediate 350 gallon tank. Over flowing to ground downhill anything not used.
Within the 350 gallon intermediate tank is a 220v 3/4HP well pump, manual switch to pump contents of 350 gallon tank - 1800 gallon tank uphill, higher than house. Gravity flow 100% from 1800 gallon tank TO House plumbing.
I refill large tank (2) times a month, about 4-5 hours.
Its worked well over 10 years. Self installed.
My solar system easily runs the well pump as needed.
What keeps the water from freezing during the cold months? How many panels and batteries does it take to run the 220 pump?

Water never stops flowing, never freezes solid, always moving. North Carolina has relatively mild winters.
Pump is powered from whole house solar..
ok, I'm in the mountains of VA. different story with water freezing! Question, IF I were to purchase a 110 volt shallow well pump, could I run it off of a deep cell battery with say a 100 amp solar panel to keep the battery charged using a inverter? Again, I am not educated on solar power at all!

ok, I'm in the mountains of VA. different story with water freezing! Question, IF I were to purchase a 110 volt shallow well pump, could I run it off of a deep cell battery with say a 100 amp solar panel to keep the battery charged using a inverter? Again, I am not educated on solar power at all!
Basic, quick answer with out much details = you want a soft start a/c pump like a grundfos.

There is so many ways you could go. Need more details to make a GOOD recommendation.

Do you want to irrigate for 4 hours a day in the summer?
Are you wanting to pressure the house after the 300ft elevation climb?
How long do you want the pump to last?
Do you want to pump water at night?
What is your budget?
Do you want to buy a big solar system for the house too or just the pump for now?
Etc....

As far as I know, no one makes a long life DC pump for that much elevation. Allot of the solar DC pumps run a motor that pumps a diaphram and has check valves. They wear out fast. Some use a rotating screw type shape that also wears out pretty quick. Your long life typical a/c well pump uses a series of high pressure/high .RPM impellers to build the pressure needed. They need to be sized correctly for your elevation and pressure needs. 240v would be your best option with that much climb but you might be able to do it with 120v if you can handle a lower flow rate like 5 gals a minute.

Here is what I would do;

A Grundfos SQ-5 rated for 300ft range ( I think they have one)
Bury some large poly tubing to the house
Pump into a holding tank while the sun is shinning. Size the tank for a few cloudy days
Use a small DC pump to pressure in the house as needed.

This pump will allow lots of options as far as inverters, the soft start doesn't require any startup current.

the goal is the house be off grid.

In that case, put in an off-grid PV system sized for the house. and use it for pump too.
Although, used PV panels and SCC may cost no more than wire?

Run a wire from house to pump. Put in preferred pump. That could be 110V SurFlo (brush type universal motor), could be AC pump similar to small sump pump (but want NSF approved), could be 12V SurFlo powered by AC/DC converter, could be small sealed battery and battery charger. Distance too great for 12VDC run, could be OK for 48VDC.

Or, is pump house a good location for PV panels to power the house?

Basic, quick answer with out much details = you want a soft start a/c pump like a grundfos.

There is so many ways you could go. Need more details to make a GOOD recommendation.

Do you want to irrigate for 4 hours a day in the summer?
Are you wanting to pressure the house after the 300ft elevation climb?
How long do you want the pump to last?
Do you want to pump water at night?
What is your budget?
Do you want to buy a big solar system for the house too or just the pump for now?
Etc....

As far as I know, no one makes a long life DC pump for that much elevation. Allot of the solar DC pumps run a motor that pumps a diaphram and has check valves. They wear out fast. Some use a rotating screw type shape that also wears out pretty quick. Your long life typical a/c well pump uses a series of high pressure/high .RPM impellers to build the pressure needed. They need to be sized correctly for your elevation and pressure needs. 240v would be your best option with that much climb but you might be able to do it with 120v if you can handle a lower flow rate like 5 gals a minute.

Here is what I would do;

A Grundfos SQ-5 rated for 300ft range ( I think they have one)
Bury some large poly tubing to the house
Pump into a holding tank while the sun is shinning. Size the tank for a few cloudy days
Use a small DC pump to pressure in the house as needed.

This pump will allow lots of options as far as inverters, the soft start doesn't require any startup current.
to answer your questions
irrigate for 4 hours=NO
pressure the hours,=YES, But I do not have a 300 ft elevation!! I have less then 10 foot elevation and 300 foot distance
how long for pump to last= I would like it to last as long as possible!!!
pump water at night= yes to take a shower
budget=Im interesting in not being hooked to the grid paying an electric bill. If I have to spend thousands of dollars to do that, Im not sure its worth it!
Buy a big solar panel for whole house= Just the pump for now

Here is my number Easier to talk then type for me!!! 804-617-5291 im Available after 4pm eastern time

Thanks for your help

In that case, put in an off-grid PV system sized for the house. and use it for pump too.
Although, used PV panels and SCC may cost no more than wire?

Run a wire from house to pump. Put in preferred pump. That could be 110V SurFlo (brush type universal motor), could be AC pump similar to small sump pump (but want NSF approved), could be 12V SurFlo powered by AC/DC converter, could be small sealed battery and battery charger. Distance too great for 12VDC run, could be OK for 48VDC.

Or, is pump house a good location for PV panels to power the house?
Pup house is at a location that can get good sun light for a panel Its easier for me to talk then type, I am off work after 4 pm EST if you would not mind talking, I would love to get some advice! 804-617-5291

Yeah, maybe later in the evening.
I find it easier to type than talk (gather my thoughts, read twice, etc.)

Have a plan for PV system powering home?
If pump house is best location for PV on the whole property, I'd want to put high voltage PV strings there, run PV DC to the house, have battery and inverter at house. But if good sun at house, panels can be there. Maybe standalone PV system for pump makes sense but I'd think single system.
Determine max simultaneous loads, starting surge required, tentatively select an inverter ...
Same system design considerations everybody has.

budget=Im interesting in not being hooked to the grid paying an electric bill. If I have to spend thousands of dollars to do that, Im not sure its worth it!
Buy a big solar panel for whole house= Just the pump for now

Ahh, that is key info.

It'll be thousands of dollars to power a house, unless just a few lights. Maybe an efficient fridge.

Just the pump for now, probably 12V SurFlo pump, AGM or FLA battery, PWM maybe MPPT charge controller, used PV panel(s).

Look at Will's small PV system recommended bundles on this forum.

Ahh, that is key info.

It'll be thousands of dollars to power a house, unless just a few lights. Maybe an efficient fridge.

Just the pump for now, probably 12V SurFlo pump, AGM or FLA battery, PWM maybe MPPT charge controller, used PV panel(s).

Look at Will's small PV system recommended bundles on this forum.
sounds good, Im just not ups with the AGM, FLA abbreviations! I get the type and think, read twice, makes sense., can you spell it out for me and I may do just that?

AGM Absorbed Glass Mat, a non-spillable lead-acid battery. Harbor Freight has cheap ones, SunXtender Trojan and others have bigger & better ones.
FLA Flooded Lead Acid, traditional automotive starting, golf cart, forklift battery.
Gel, gelled electrolyte.

Many choices, depending on your environment and applications.

Start here for ideas, but yours could be even smaller.
Determine how many gallons you want to pump per day, look up pump specs to determine watt-hour requirements.

I am most familiar with the SeaFlo Diaphragm Pumps for use in my RV. I also use a SeaFlo pump to get water into and out of my 150 gallon water bladder that I put in the bed of my truck. If you look at the specs of the diaphragm pumps they are listed in how many feet of lift they support. In an RV I don't worry too much about the lift spec since my pump is sitting no further than 4' from the fresh water tank (maybe 20" of vertical distance). The (suction) lift hasn't been a problem with the water bladder pump since it's usually in the bed with the bladder or within 25' of the truck.

Their submersible pump on the other hand pumps up to 18 vertical feet. The difference in the spec being push versus pull.

The SeaFlo USA website is kind of goofy, making it hard to find products. Look through their catalog instead. There is a pump accumulator kit that you might want to look at.

Back