diy solar

diy solar

Running on empty

BrendanK

So winter has hit southern Utah with a vengeance. Bryce Canyon just received record breaking snowfall and the forecast is for more of the same.
My studio space using the EG4 6000EX has been struggling to get charged up during this spat of weather and I think (I'm not onsite unfortunately) that there is now snow covering the panels currently. My 30kWh battery pack is now at 40% charge and using roughly 3-5kWh per day at idle.
My question is: what happens if/when it shuts off? Will it just turn back on and start charging up as soon as the sun comes out? Or does the system need some kind of reboot or startup procedure in that scenario?
Thanks in advance for any info or advice

If it shuts down, then restarting is "black start". If you do NOT have rapid shutdown, then it may wake up when the panels start producing enough power. Otherwise, you need some type of power to give the "production" signal to the RSD device. Some inverters have reserve power and will send short bursts of activation to see if the panels will lite up. That only lasts for a while until the battery is drained.

Back