diy solar

diy solar

Running outdoor wire above ground while looking nice

erik.calco

Solar Badger
I ruled out running wire underground with PVC due to insane effort, more bush and tree roots than I have pairs of socks, and challenging updating it down the road. Since PV and landscape wire is already weather proof, you really just need to protect it. How do you run it above ground aesthetically in a semi-wooded area? Through wood, of course.

Never did an angle cut with my circular saw, the most handy power tool that God created. So, I'm a little proud of my accomplishment today. :) I previously cut down a tree with one. lol

You can see from the photo I did two cuts. Below I show how I used a website calculator to find the entry distance of each cut, 45 degrees, 1.5" deep. Made sure I could pull through anything with 1" or less diameter (MC4 connector) with a little extra space for wires, though I'll always be able to unscrew the cover I'll put on it. This block will actually be facing down with wider boards covering it that will become the bottom. But, you can flip it over any time to open it.

1591285790378.png

1591285902256.png

1591285998464.png

Currently with fence pickets face up:
1591289792896.png

Last edited:
You could just hire/buy a router, that's kinda what they're for.

1591830200521.png

I probably wouldn't want a connection (i.e. MC4) within the channel.

You could just hire/buy a router, that's kinda what they're for.

View attachment 15166

I probably wouldn't want a connection (i.e. MC4) within the channel.
LOL why would I buy a router when the saw I have worked perfectly? The point of this post was to give people ideas, including how to use the common home DIY tools they have instead of running out and buying another special purpose contractor tool, and alternate options for materials, in this case, using wood instead of PVC or metal.

I'd never leave an MC4 connection within the channel. As I said, the purpose was to make "sure I could pull through anything with 1" or less diameter". TBH, the probability I'll ever fish an MC4 connection through is less than 1%. But, I'll sleep better over the next decade knowing that if needed, I can. :)

Last edited:
OK, OK, sorry :oops: Thought I was being helpful, clearly not.

Fantastic channel, trigonometrically perfect ... and aesthetically pleasing ... and helpful ...

Back