diy solar

diy solar

Scam from hell.

dmoon

While some may or may not share my initial enthusiasm for solar energy, I believe it can offer significant benefits. However, my own experience highlights the crucial importance of thorough research and understanding all details before investing.

I installed a 5.7kWdc roof-mounted system with Freedom Forever, hoping for net neutrality based on their simulations. Unfortunately, crucial buyback rate information was omitted, and despite requesting research time, a discount pressured me into a rushed decision. this mistake costed me $30k

Six months later, reality set in. My utility company paid only 6 cents per kWh for generated power while charging 18 cents for purchased electricity. This significant discrepancy, coupled with an undersized system (limited to 3.9kW by the inverter), led to understandable frustration.

Determined to optimize, I addressed inefficiencies. My 2019-built house had poor insulation, contributing to high energy usage (50 kWh/day winter, 60 kWh/day summer). By sealing leaks, installing motorized back draft dampers, and improving insulation, I reduced usage to 20~30 kWh/day, eliminating reliance on inefficient electric strip heating that drew about 5000 watts. (TIP. Don't turn the Thermostat of your heat pump by more than 2 degrees setpoint, if you do that you will unnecessarily turn on the strip heat. set your heat pump at 65 ° F when away in the summer and 80 ° F in summer)
Armed with insights, I'm ready to right-size my system. Sourcing equipment independently (5.5kW panels, 10kW inverter, 60kW batteries) was significantly more cost-effective(not even close to my original install with Freedom Forever). Simulations project sufficient sunlight to charge the batteries in one day and sustain us for up to 3 cloudy days while generating $950-$1300 annually from the utility company.
In essence, going solar requires meticulous research to understand risks and rewards. Renting power from your utility company may be better in some cases. Choose wisely, and don't let discounts pressure you into rushed decisions. in the coming months hope to share my journey and seek advice from you guys

In essence, going solar requires meticulous research to understand risks and rewards.

Nothing specific really about solar, ANY large purchase should follow this method.

There are untold number of sales operations for product A-Z that go after homeowners as they have wealth other do not, been this way for as long as I've been on this rock.

Not familiar with Freedom Forever, but sounds more like a lack of knowledge on your part before investing than a scam.

Edit to add..... Not trying to be a dick, I'm just not big on blaming anyone for taking money I willingly gave to them. If I am investing in anything, it's on me to know what I'm investing in.

Last edited:
That is a bit harsh, even I have been scammed and I'm the tightest butthole on this forum I can guarantee it LOL
They have no love. was able to fend off one salesperson for a year. only because she came right after i just bought my house. (didn't have the money saved for that kind of investment). but i should have done my research and been prepared for the second salesman.

Like we say in the IT industry, you're not a real system administrator until you've broken something. Everyone makes mistakes eh - live and learn. That was an expensive lesson for sure.
i know 99 % on this forum are well informed. i hope the Youtube algo push will's video about scammers out to people with less know-how.

Thanks for sharing. Hope it helps others avoid the same issues. Nice work on the efficiency upgrades, those really pay off.

I've always considered reducing electrical consumption as the FIRST step but many don't understand the value in it since its not as interesting as contemplating a sexy new PV system.

Thanks for sharing. Hope it helps others avoid the same issues. Nice work on the efficiency upgrades, those really pay off.

I've always considered reducing electrical consumption as the FIRST step but many don't understand the value in it since its not as interesting as contemplating a sexy new PV system.
hahaha. true that. my next step is conditioning my attic space and some insulation on the south facing walls and installing an exhaust fan to exhaust hot air out of the attic in the summer. Basically, if the sun heats the attic i can use a faction of that same energy to cool it down to 80F ish. That should eliminate the excess cooling required when the sunsets.

@dmoon Start by exploring ways to store power so that you won't have to rely solely on purchasing electricity from the utility company. Take it slow and steady, asking questions, conducting research, and asking even more questions along the way. Consider this as your stepping stone—a potentially expensive one—but remember, mistakes can be valuable lessons. We've all made errors in the past that have taught us something valuable.

@dmoon Start by exploring ways to store power so that you won't have to rely solely on purchasing electricity from the utility company. Take it slow and steady, asking questions, conducting research, and asking even more questions along the way. Consider this as your stepping stone—a potentially expensive one—but remember, mistakes can be valuable lessons. We've all made errors in the past that have taught us something valuable.
Thanks man... i have watched all Wills Videos. i ordered 4 15kw LFP Batteries.

i wished he made this months before the salesman knocked on my door. also, i just recently joined this group.
Except for Girl Scout cookies a salesman knocking on the door already has a few red flags waving.

haha i need to recover my money some how. i settled with Seplos they use EVE cells.

Six months later, reality set in. My utility company paid only 6 cents per kWh for generated power while charging 18 cents for purchased electricity. This significant discrepancy, coupled with an undersized system (limited to 3.9kW by the inverter), led to understandable frustration.

$0.18/kWh is relatively low, and $0.06/kWh is higher than many utilities are paying for power.

Were you also forced onto a time of use rate?

What does your purchase price of turn-key system work out to $ per kWh? (to keep it simple, just amortize over 20 years.)

How about your additional hardware $ per kWh?

Batteries I think are as low as $0.05/kWh, but for suitable inverter cost varies.
With $0.12 spread between buy/sell, any savings from saving power in batteries (and losing 20% along the way) will be quite modest.
Likely other types of investments give better return.

Thanks man... i have watched all Wills Videos. i ordered 4 15kw LFP Batteries.

That could be about $18k?

I would prefer managing loads to match production, over storage.
(I say this having scrambled to unplug refrigerators and shut off yard lights last Sunday, realizing that with overcast my 14kWh usable battery would shut off power in the middle of the night.)

Back