diy solar

diy solar

Schneider SW: AC and DC coupled wiring diagram

MisterSandals

Participation Medalist
Hello
I am looking to install a Schneider Conext SW inverter and am having a hard time conceptualizing the wiring for AC and DC coupled system. Schneider has a separate DC power distribution panel (PDP) and AC PDP).
Long story left out, but the Schneider diagrams are not working for the way my mind works.

Midnite Solar makes a coupling box that is supposed to be equivalent to both the AC and DC PDP panels. It shows all the connections nicely, in one box, so i am strongly considering it. I started with the Midnite diagram and I added blue lines to how I envision I would connect this to my main panel, critical load sub-panel, grid tie inverters and battery.

How does this look?
Schneider Wiring Diagram.png

Last edited:
What you drew in looks good, but don't forget the neutral wires and the grounds as well.

Both the battery bank and any DC solar charge controllers will all connect to the DC +/- bus bars with the proper breakers to protect the wires.

And you are correct, the grid tied solar inverter(s) will move to the new backup loads panel.

Midnite Solar makes a coupling box that is supposed to be equivalent to both the AC and DC PDP panels. It shows all the connections nicely, in one box, so i am strongly considering it. I started with the Midnite diagram and I added blue lines to how I envision I would connect this to my main panel, critical load sub-panel, grid tie inverters and battery.
I have the Schneider SW4024, and use the Midnite E-panel, which I think is what you are talking about. I really like the E-panel, and have heard nothing but positive from others about it.

It's been a while, but I think the E-panel manual has lots of really good examples of wiring. Have you checked that out?

I have the Schneider SW4024, and use the Midnite E-panel, which I think is what you are talking about
Yes. Are you AC coupled? If so, how many watts?

I will check the E-panel manual again.

Can you post a pic of how the outside and inside look? The all Schneider solution is big, pricy and beautiful. But 2x $500 boxes seems a bit much.

Can you post a pic of how the outside and inside look? The all Schneider solution is big, pricy and beautiful. But 2x $500 boxes seems a bit much.
It is bizarre that the SW panels cost nearly double the MiniPDP for the XW.

My system is at our mountain cabin. It's DC coupled, completely off-grid.

Here's a pic. The E-panel is on the left, and the Conext SW4024 on the right.
Annotated_Electronic_backboard.jpg

The price seems to have gone up a bit since I installed it all a bit over 5 years ago, but at least it is $500 for just one box, instead of needing two boxes at $500 each.

https://www.altestore.com/store/enc...steel-250a-for-conext-sw4024-inverter-p11289/

The E-panel is on the left, and the Conext SW4024 on the right.
If you happen to have a pic of the inside of the E-panel I'd love to see it. It looks a bit involved to open so i won't ask you to do that for just a pic.
I did check all your posts in "show and tell" but did not see anything.

Is your breaker for the generator just to the left of the bypass breaker?

That's a pretty sweet install. Thanks for sharing.

If you happen to have a pic of the inside of the E-panel I'd love to see it. It looks a bit involved to open so i won't ask you to do that for just a pic.
I did check all your posts in "show and tell" but did not see anything.

Is your breaker for the generator just to the left of the bypass breaker?

That's a pretty sweet install. Thanks for sharing.
Well, since it's a six hour drive from my home, you don't need to worry about me going out there to take a picture. ;)

This picture isn't a close-up of the internal wiring, and it doesn't quite have everything done yet (the PV wasn't hooked up yet), but it probably gives you the idea.
SAM_2931.jpg

The breakers in the top left of the panel are the AC breakers. They serve as a bypass, so that the generator (my only alternate source of split-phase AC power) can be connected to the house electrical panel bypassing the inverter (e.g., for service). The panel-mount breakers are all DC breakers. All those DIN-mount and panel-mount breakers are purchased separately from the E-panel. The big 250A DC fuse is the disconnect for the battery, and it comes with the E-panel.

Which SW inverter are you looking to install?

Edit to add; I forgot to mention that the front panel has a punchout that is sized specifically to mount the Schneider SCP (System Control Panel), and I used it. I don't have the Gateway or Combox, so I don't actually have any way to upgrade my firmware, which has turned out to be an issue (but not a big one).

Last edited:
Well, since it's a six hour drive from my home, you don't need to worry about me going out there to take a picture. ;)

This picture isn't a close-up of the internal wiring, and it doesn't quite have everything done yet (the PV wasn't hooked up yet), but it probably gives you the idea.
View attachment 111474

The breakers in the top left of the panel are the AC breakers. They serve as a bypass, so that the generator (my only alternate source of split-phase AC power) can be connected to the house electrical panel bypassing the inverter (e.g., for service). The panel-mount breakers are all DC breakers. All those DIN-mount and panel-mount breakers are purchased separately from the E-panel. The big 250A DC fuse is the disconnect for the battery, and it comes with the E-panel.

Which SW inverter are you looking to install?

Edit to add; I forgot to mention that the front panel has a punchout that is sized specifically to mount the Schneider SCP (System Control Panel), and I used it. I don't have the Gateway or Combox, so I don't actually have any way to upgrade my firmware, which has turned out to be an issue (but not a big one).
Would you be so kind as to get a tight shot on the e-panel?

Would you be so kind as to get a tight shot on the e-panel?
Well, like I said earlier, the install is a 6-hour drive from here, so I can't really go take a new shot. You didn't say if you wanted a shot of the inside (front panel off) or of the front. If you just want to see better how it looks in operation, here's a shot I took about the same time as the others, a bit over 5 years ago:
SAM_2936.JPG

If you are looking for a picture of the inside with the front panel off, I'll try and remember to do that at the end of the month when I make my last trip up to the cabin before winter.

Well, like I said earlier, the install is a 6-hour drive from here, so I can't really go take a new shot. You didn't say if you wanted a shot of the inside (front panel off) or of the front. If you just want to see better how it looks in operation, here's a shot I took about the same time as the others, a bit over 5 years ago:
View attachment 111479

If you are looking for a picture of the inside with the front panel off, I'll try and remember to do that at the end of the month when I make my last trip up to the cabin before winter.
Yep it was the inside I'm curious about.
I'm guessing the Victron VE panel is a re-badge of the midnite product.

Last edited:
Yep it was the inside I'm curious about.
I'm guessing the Victron VME panel is a re-badge of the midnite product.
I'm not familiar with that Victron item. I'd be a little surprised, as this particular Midnite E-Panel is designed only to work with the Schneider SW inverter, which I wouldn't think Victron would care about.

I'm not familiar with that Victron item. I'd be a little surprised, as this particular Midnite E-Panel is designed only to work with the Schneider SW inverter, which I wouldn't think Victron would care about.
There product is for use with the multiplus/quattro.
The box may be slightly different but the insides look very familiar.
Section 4.3 looks familiar.

Or paid someone.

It could be that Victron went the easy road and uses Midnite as the vendor on that complete assembly.
Yeah, I suppose. They seem like odd bedfellows. I guess I thought Victron didn't get much outside their own house. I'm no expert though, so... Are there any other things (not just parts, but things they sell as Victron items) from other companies?

It also would be a bit of a strange position for Midnite, it seems to me. They only recently started reselling boxes made by someone else (in their DIY series). They sell things that are intended to work directly with non-Midnite products (like the E-Panel I have), but I've never heard of them being the source for someone else to relabel.

Ah well. Who knows!?

Yeah, I suppose. They seem like odd bedfellows. I guess I thought Victron didn't get much outside their own house. I'm no expert though, so... Are there any other things (not just parts, but things they sell as Victron items) from other companies?

It also would be a bit of a strange position for Midnite, it seems to me. They only recently started reselling boxes made by someone else (in their DIY series). They sell things that are intended to work directly with non-Midnite products (like the E-Panel I have), but I've never heard of them being the source for someone else to relabel.

Ah well. Who knows!?
Victron now sells some very cheap looking dc2dc converters, with a coat of blue paint of course.

Back