diy solar

diy solar

schneider xw pro set up for 48v lifepo4 battery bank

chemosabe

HI - trying to set up my off grid wx pro for my SOK 48 volt battery bank. it would be great if there was a setting for 48 v bank (since they have their own BMS) that just set the output at 56 v and let the batteries manage themselves, right? but there isn't. what settings are people using? i have solar input and backup generators.
another issue - can't seem to upgrade my firmware as instructed. it seems to go through the steps with blinking and beeping then it says "upload failed" at the end.
thanks for any assistance.

Are you using combox or insight gateway or insight home?

Are you intending to setup BMS comms or just voltage control?

Which device's firmware are you trying to upgrade?

i have the insight home. that is the one that won't complete the firmware update. haven't tried the others yet.
there is no communication between the schneiders and the SOK battery bank.
i have the 100/600 mppt's from schneider. i bought cheap chinese generators (2 x 7500 w pulsar propane generators) - i have verified that they can charge the batteries.
thanks

Just set the xw and the mppt to the bulk/absorb/float that sok recommends. Xanbus terminated? How is the insight powered? Keep trying? I recall that last one worked for some people. After you upgrade both insight and xw firmware, you will want to restore defaults and reset the grid codes.

i have the insight home. that is the one that won't complete the firmware update. haven't tried the others yet.
there is no communication between the schneiders and the SOK battery bank.
i have the 100/600 mppt's from schneider. i bought cheap chinese generators (2 x 7500 w pulsar propane generators) - i have verified that they can charge the batteries.
thanks
Is it possible you are giving it the zip file instead of the xf0 firmware file that's inside? Or that you haven't first unzipped the folder?

I'm trying to recall any reason I've got that error before. Schneider also tends to check the part number in the filename of the firmware, but I assume your firmware is correct for the insight home.

my understanding of bulk absorb float is that that is left over from lead acid batteries, and that the lifepo4 bank would just like a constant 56.7 v and the bms will take care of everything. i suppose i could set those parameters (bulk/abs/float) all the same at 56.7 which is what sok likes. would that work?
the xanbus is terminated. the insight is powered via the battery bank currently as there is no grid.
thanks

Is it possible you are giving it the zip file instead of the xf0 firmware file that's inside? Or that you haven't first unzipped the folder?

I'm trying to recall any reason I've got that error before. Schneider also tends to check the part number in the filename of the firmware, but I assume your firmware is correct for the insight home.
i did unzip it to it's own folder. it has the right extension on it. thanks

For the firmware update, I would next try connecting to the insighthome's wifi with the password on the back of the insighthome, access the page at 192.168.100.1 and attempt the firmware update that way. Unless that's how you already are attempting it.

Float should be a little lower, 54.4 to 54.8V. In full sun with low loads the battery doesn't need that much maintenance voltage.
Some of the SOK's recommend 55.2V float. Of course we know that's debatable. But it might be necessary to align with their BMS balancing settings.

For the firmware update, I would next try connecting to the insighthome's wifi with the password on the back of the insighthome, access the page at 192.168.100.1 and attempt the firmware update that way. Unless that's how you already are attempting it.
yeah after i finally figured out my password after forgetting it (schneider told me how to reset it but i never could get that to work...) i was able to get on to the local insight internet and try it that way. did not work. did not use a separate USB drive though. will try again....

and i'm just a few highways to the north of 17...off of 128

Last edited:
Some of the SOK's recommend 55.2V float. Of course we know that's debatable. But it might be necessary to align with their BMS balancing settings.
SOK recommends 57.6 -58.4 on the front of the battery. i assume with a constant voltage and the bms will take what it needs.

yeah after i finally figured out my password after forgetting it (schneider told me how to reset it but it never could get that to work...) i was able to get on to the local insight internet and try it that way. did not work. did not use a separate USB drive though. will try again....
I do the updates on the local connection, I thought that was the only way. And I have not yet had to use a USB drive.

Does your epkg have 985-0708 in the title? E.g. 985-0708-v1.18-BN41.epkg

Also, ignore this if it's just annoying now, but I'll say again, double check that you have actually extracted the zip, and are selecting the epkg file from the extracted folder, rather than browsing into the zip file and uploading from there.

HI - trying to set up my off grid wx pro for my SOK 48 volt battery bank. it would be great if there was a setting for 48 v bank (since they have their own BMS) that just set the output at 56 v and let the batteries manage themselves, right? but there isn't. what settings are people using? i have solar input and backup generators.
another issue - can't seem to upgrade my firmware as instructed. it seems to go through the steps with blinking and beeping then it says "upload failed" at the end.
thanks for any assistance.
If you are truely off grid, do not do a firmware (FW) update. The latest FW updates are for grid tied system features and there have been a few XW pro off-grid systems having problems when doing the FW updates.

Last edited:
It's my understanding that xwpro will work fine with the most recent firmware updates, both for the inverter and insight. Xw+ is a different story.

Back