diy solar

diy solar

Schneider xw Pro

Huh? Just go onto the CEC (California Energy Commission) list and look for storage inverters or whatever. There’s tons, and they need an NRTL cert among other things to be loaded into there and POCO database for filing interconnect applications.

There are very few 48V grid tie approved hybrid inverters, true, but the lack of those is simply a business decision on their part (more money to be made with a proprietary UL9540 HVDC battery), not a fundamental technology one.

XW Pro Hybrid Inverter 120/240V I was just on the phone last week with Schneider about to pull the trigger on the XWpro. I have several Schneider Smart Online UPS APCs units for multiple server Nodes. They make a quality product I will definitely say that, but as far as customer service goes it's either hit or miss. Just ask them to provide a ticket number. Needless to say, I'm also in the market for getting XWpro because my electricity is another property tax. Makes me sick.

Too many missing variables to figure out but one possibility that usually works well is to try to update the firmware. You can do this on a trusted power with no chance of interruption otherwise, you could have a brick. I'm willing to bet his system draws very little power from the PV as that particular model is older than three years old and probably could use an update to fix any glitches. Also possible is the setup is incorrect but let's assume it is.

I did speak specifically regarding the XWPro during heavy motor LRA startup loads such as compressors... some microleakage to the grid occurs momentarily or enough to get caught by smart meters if they read logs. Since I don't have this model, it appears as Bill said using a separate transfer panel switch is the only way to be sure. Since He is not yet approved for selling to the grid so we set "sell amps = 0" probably too trusting of Schneider especially if you have a smart meter. If anyone can confirm this that would be great.

Service? You won't get any service from Schneider. You won't get any repairs from Schneider. And not even your installer can get parts for your inverter should it need them. Caveat emptor. If you buy one, I think if you register it you get a 5-year warranty extension making it 10 years. Do it!
My first XW+ developed a bad networking board. I was unable to replace it because I could not find a part either from Schneider, North America, or Europe. Forced to buy a new inverter. Not happy camper. If you have several options like Outback, be sure to check their parts and repair policy.

Service? You won't get any service from Schneider. You won't get any repairs from Schneider. And not even your installer can get parts for your inverter should it need them. Caveat emptor. If you buy one, I think if you register it you get a 5-year warranty extension making it 10 years. Do it!
My first XW+ developed a bad networking board. I was unable to replace it because I could not find a part either from Schneider, North America, or Europe. Forced to buy a new inverter. Not happy camper. If you have several options like Outback, be sure to check their parts and repair policy.
They didn't replace it under warranty? No replacement unit sent out? Hmmmm... What did you do? :)

I did have one expensive APC SRT that just recently blew up just after the warranty. That's in another to-do pile. Yeah, that was my bad for not reading the log files. Load shedding is a must with any transformer including the XWPro I'm certain of that 100 percent... meaning don't spike the ball in the endzone by turning everything on at once. Very bad things happen just when you least expect it like your bank account being drained again by the wife.

I saw some YouTuber old-timer punching the hell of a sw pro. So definitely 1000000 percent "properly size your system whereas it rarely is pushed to the limit." It's all marketing but it's just like the news...f...a...k...e . Sure it can hold up the wattage for a few minutes but eventually that pattern will kill it.

Still either SE products are like beautiful planes and we are the pilots who make unknown mistakes. Not me nope haha

They didn't replace it under warranty? No replacement unit sent out? Hmmmm... What did you do? :)

I did have one expensive APC SRT that just recently blew up just after the warranty. That's in another to-do pile. Yeah, that was my bad for not reading the log files. Load shedding is a must with any transformer including the XWPro I'm certain of that 100 percent... meaning don't spike the ball in the endzone by turning everything on at once. Very bad things happen just when you least expect it like your bank account being drained again by the wife.

I saw some YouTuber old-timer punching the hell of a sw pro. So definitely 1000000 percent "properly size your system whereas it rarely is pushed to the limit." It's all marketing but it's just like the news...f...a...k...e . Sure it can hold up the wattage for a few minutes but eventually that pattern will kill it.

Still either SE products are like beautiful planes and we are the pilots who make unknown mistakes. Not me nope haha
The xw+ that failed was passed warranty. The installer and I worked on this for about 6 months and it drove both of us crazy because we couldn't get any help or parts from Schneider.
Update on the new inverter which was installed back in February. I also had to replace the batteries and that was done last month. The system is still not working. Caveat emptor. (I am an EE by training and maybe old but not stupid.)

As to the APC, we had some of those units years ago and they mostly were selling us new batteries. I looked into it, and the circuit that determines if you need a new battery has been known to be faulty for about 20 years. But they sell a lot of batteries this way. Be aware APC is owned by Schneider. If you have to buy a new battery don't buy one from APC. If you have to buy a new SRT, don't buy one from APC. Note that Schneider Electric has acquired many companies but their main business is industrial Electronics. For all I know they are a reputable company.

As to the APC, we had some of those units years ago and they mostly were selling us new batteries. I looked into it, and the circuit that determines if you need a new battery has been known to be faulty for about 20 years. But they sell a lot of batteries this way. Be aware APC is owned by Schneider. If you have to buy a new battery don't buy one from APC. If you have to buy a new SRT, don't buy one from APC. Note that Schneider Electric has acquired many companies but their main business is industrial Electronics. For all I know they are a reputable company.

I know what you mean haha. This is my past To DO list. Honestly, I never had a problem with Schneider. I did abuse them on cold starts sort of like central units all at once. They still work well, but I need to find a home for the old stock. Just too expensive to ship and so heavy. SE is a reputable company. I'm also on the boards there as well. Solar, they are probably very good too. I just won't "Over Extend them even if they can take it." I have one blown srt $7k SRT5KRMXLT from too much start-up current. I load Shed now and start my server one at a time with the Bios default set to off. makes me think twice about the SW PRO and how I would baby that and match the loads so it never surged. Look what happen to me out of warranty out of cash but I can fix it when I have the time which is between never and never.
IMG_20230708_225918.jpg
1688871597257.jpg

Last edited:
Hi... I need the help of the group.A few days ago I upgraded the firmware from 1.03 to 1.11 to my XW pro following the steps of Schneider, first I updated the insight home and then the XW pro inverter. The update was done well but I find the detail that when the grid is absent the red led that marks the events on the inverter panel does not turn on. In the SCP it does not indicate it either. Before doing the upgrade, in version 1.03, it worked, and marked the events of the lack of grid... can someone explain to me what happens?... thanks

The Red Event LED should only illuminate if there is a Warning or Fault in the normal operation of the inverter. If grid is absent then the Green LED on AC1 is dark and there should be a kW value displayed as well as the Green LED to the right of the kW reading should be illuminated indicating the Inverter is active.
Not sure why the Red Event LED would illuminate when the grid goes down. I would look at the history for both Warnings and Faults to find out why that was happening. As far as I know the behavior you are describing is normal.

Not sure if this helps. See attached. It's my understanding that the addition of a WattNode would allow one to use solar power on the main panel without backfeeding the grid but haven't studied in detail as I don't have any DC coupled panels
That document says:
XW Pro Self-supply and Export Limiting (990-91371)
"NOTE: Export limiting and zero sell only work in single-inverter systems."

Back