diy solar

diy solar

Self limiting ac coupled system

Letmo

I have 3 lvx6048wp inverters that I want to connect in a non traditional way. I plan on powering two houses with these three inverters with one at one house and two at another. The loads rarely get above 6kW at either house, but I want the system to be robust. These inverters are capable of ac coupling as long as they are not connected in parallel. They also have the ability to limit their export using current transformers.

I have been wondering if having one inverter act as the grid forming inverter would work as long as the other two don't allow more current than the single inverter can handle into the part of the grid the one inverter is connected to. Would the one inverter be able to frequency shift with the other two pumping power out?

If this has any chance of working there are a couple ways to do it. One would be to have the single remote inverter be connected as a grid tied inverter without any limiting on it. Along with this connection one of the other inverters would also be grid tied but limit the total input into the inverter next to it to 6kW. That way when the remote inverter has power coming in and nowhere else to send it the close inverter will just shut itself off. In theory this would allow the full 18 kW to be used at either house if there is enough ramp up etc. This is the option that sounds most reasonable to me.

Another option would be to have the single remote inverter be the grid forming inverter while the other two are in parallel with a limit of 6 kw to the lone inverter. This option would allow 12kW at one house and 18kW at the other. It also seems much more likely to overwhelm the grid forming inverter.

I almost forgot to mention that there is 48kWh of battery capacity with the two inverters and 16kWh with the single inverter.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have on the topic.

Last edited:
So you want to have 1 inverter act as the power company and use others to inject power into the stream? I tired that with a sungold 10k and mpp lvx6048, it worked but could not stop backfeed, which was wierd. Probably not recomended? Do not know.

I do have a question for LVX 6048 WP / LVX 12k WP owners, does the Current Limit on the battery work? will it allow only 10 amps for hours to trickle out instead of killing the battery with the load?

Back