diy solar

diy solar

Seplos BMS parameter settings, Please HELP!

AndyCook.

Hi guys,
Please can anyone help with the parameter settings in Battery Monitor for the Seplos BMS?

I recently built a 48v battery using 16 x EVE LF280K cells and installed in a Seplos Mason box.

Its working well, but when battery approaches full charge I get several warnings and then a red warning and the BMS shuts off power.

I dont really understand the parameter setting as I'm new to this, and would appreciate any help you can offer, Thank you!

Rather than posting a list of settings that may or may not make sense to you. I would recommend starting with this YT video and also do a YT search for others to gain a lasting understanding of BMS functions and each settings.

Thanks for your replay! I have watched many of the videos done by Andy on YT, but although he shows parameters for the seplos bms, his system has Victron inverters and I cant find any videos with Sofar setups.
I'm unsure how to set bms to charge to say 90 percent and discharge to 10 percent to maximise life of my cells, and in the parameters it has SOC setting which is adjustable and I was wondering if I could set that according to my cell voltage and voltage of the pack?
It seems the bms has not learnt the exact SOC and hits warning limits when almost fully charged and also when almost fully discharged. It shuts down battery when almost discharged and red alarm flashes, the only way to get the pack active again and start charging process is to go into parameters and change the SOC to a higher amount, then it starts charging again.
I'm sure I'm missing something simple!
And I apologise for my ignorance in this, any help you could offer will be so much appreciated!

I have watched many of the videos done by Andy on YT, but although he shows parameters for the seplos bms, his system has Victron inverters and I cant find any videos with Sofar setups.
I'm unsure how to set bms to charge to say 90 percent and discharge to 10 percent to maximise life of my cells, and in the parameters it has SOC setting which is adjustable and I was wondering if I could set that according to my cell voltage and voltage of the pack?
The above statement as written has some contradictions and indicates a possible incomplete understanding of the function of each component and how they work together. This a generalized summary. Later we can address specific settings on the actual menus of your specific equipment if necessary or desired.
1) A Battery Management System is not a controlling device per se. Battery Protection System would be a more accurate term. Disregarding that a BMS can have a low current mode, a BMS is primarily an On-Off switch that is used as a Last Resort device that only disconnects the battery from the system if Voltage, Temperature or Current is dangerously close to a threshold limit that if crossed could cause permanent damage to a cell(s). In some cases the BMS also has the function of balancing cell voltages.
2) The inverter and/or solar charge controller is/are the system controllers. Even with closed loop BMS communications, its still the Inverter/charge controller that has all the logic functions. The BMS is simply passing information to the control device. The Inverter charger settings must be set INSIDE the limits of the BMS.
Example: If the BMS Low Voltage Cut Out is set to 46V then the Inverter should be set to stop drawing power from the battery at 47V to 48V. Likewise for all the other settings.
It seems the bms has not learnt the exact SOC and hits warning limits when almost fully charged and also when almost fully discharged. It shuts down battery when almost discharged and red alarm flashes, the only way to get the pack active again and start charging process is to go into parameters and change the SOC to a higher amount, then it starts charging again.
It sounds like the pack is out of balance and at least one cell is hitting the BMS cut out limit. Its also possible that the charge-discharge settings on the inverter/charge controller are too high or low. Both of the above could simultaneously be true.
I'm sure I'm missing something simple!
To be fair to yourself, its not that simple. Takes some time to understand how these systems work.

Hi, I also have a Seplos BMS and a Sofar inverter (ME3000SP), possibly even the same cells if you bought them from Fogstar; I can try and help you with what I know. What model of inverter do you have?

Hi, I also have a Seplos BMS and a Sofar inverter (ME3000SP), possibly even the same cells if you bought them from Fogstar; I can try and help you with what I know. What model of inverter do you have?
Hi, thank you! I am still having problems trying to set parameters. I have the Sofar HYD6000ES. My cells are EVE LF280K, bought direct from EVE, but the same as Fogstar! I am using the General Lithium Setting on the Sofar inverter, but tried Pylon and Default, but couldn't get either of those to work properly. I have just tried some of the settings in the BMS that you posted, hoping that may help! I have the problem of either it always just hits over protection to stop charging or it seems to stop counting at about 98% battery SOC and then hits over protection..... I see you have had similar problems!!! It would be great to know your current configuration please ! Thanks!!

Good afternoon, dear friends!
It's time for me to sort out my BMS and backup power system.
Now I have two bms seplos, versions 10c and 10e.
At first I had no way to coordinate my victron multiplus 2 and seplos bms version 10c. There was a lack of time and understanding of how they should work together.
Then my Schottky diode stopped working, a known problem. I spent a long time looking for a replacement, it wasn't easy to find one recommended by the manufacturer. Along the way I ordered the bms version 10e.
Both the first and second versions are 200 amps.
When installing everything worked, but again not quite correctly. And now it will finally be possible to deal with this issue tightly.
The forum gives food for thought.
I read that it is necessary to place the bms settings inside the inverter settings. I will have to check how it works.
Also, from the links above, watched some of Andy's videos, solar garage. Very useful to watch to understand the processes. Will keep watching.
My main issue is that the bms disconnects when the charge reaches 100% not the victron multiplus charging, but disconnects it completely.
If any of the members of the forum can tell where the problem is hidden in my case, I will be very happy.

Last edited:
Do you the the 10E (Bluetooth one)?

Hi, thank you! I am still having problems trying to set parameters. I have the Sofar HYD6000ES. My cells are EVE LF280K, bought direct from EVE, but the same as Fogstar! I am using the General Lithium Setting on the Sofar inverter, but tried Pylon and Default, but couldn't get either of those to work properly. I have just tried some of the settings in the BMS that you posted, hoping that may help! I have the problem of either it always just hits over protection to stop charging or it seems to stop counting at about 98% battery SOC and then hits over protection..... I see you have had similar problems!!! It would be great to know your current configuration please ! Thanks!!
Did you attempt to top balance the cells at all. It sound like the BMS has not completed the learning process to accurately allow charge discharge

I had the exact same issue and did find a setting that needs to be turned off to stop the BMS disconnecting on an over voltage error. I don't know the exact setting off the top of my head but Andy's videos on the 10e mention it.

i had similar error on a solis inverter when battery reached 100% error,turned out to be the float charge was too high,adjusted down and seemed to fix the problem.

Hi mate . Just changed to the seplos BMS. Got it connected to my me3000sp via can. I have set the discharge depth to 90% on the me3000 but noticed today that it stopped discharging at 20% not 10%There was no alarms on the BMS so not sure why it didn't discharge to 10%. What does your discharge to?
Cheers

Hi mate . Just changed to the seplos BMS. Got it connected to my me3000sp via can. I have set the discharge depth to 90% on the me3000 but noticed today that it stopped discharging at 20% not 10%There was no alarms on the BMS so not sure why it didn't discharge to 10%. What does your discharge to?
Cheers
Double check that the depth of discharge is set to 90%. What working mode are you using?

Yeah double checked . Defo 90% in the settings. Using it in time of use mode (charge overnight with octopus)

It's a new setup so maybe the BMS hasn't calculated the full charge capacity yet and shutting of discharging early??

It's a new setup so maybe the BMS hasn't calculated the full charge capacity yet and shutting of discharging early??
Yes, but you should see some alarm/protection, unless you waited too much time and it has reset those alarms

Yes, but you should see some alarm/protection, unless you waited too much time and it has reset those alarms
I was thinking the same thing TBF. Will have to monitor it for a few days and see if it discharges further. Have you made many changes in the BMS settings?

did notice just when i logged into the bms that the can protocol had changed back to the default one and not the sma sf one which was a bit strange. have changed it back now.

Hi guys,
Please can anyone help with the parameter settings in Battery Monitor for the Seplos BMS?

I recently built a 48v battery using 16 x EVE LF280K cells and installed in a Seplos Mason box.

Its working well, but when battery approaches full charge I get several warnings and then a red warning and the BMS shuts off power.

I dont really understand the parameter setting as I'm new to this, and would appreciate any help you can offer, Thank you!

Attachments

• 48V 200A 16S BMS Specification V1.2 20220409.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 126
Back