diy solar

diy solar

Server Rack Batteries fit Golf Carts

Delmar

Solar Addict
Purchased a barely-used SOK 5.1kwh battery from a member of this forum for my Yamaha AC-drive golf cart. After removing the FLA batteries [toughest part of the swap due to corroded bolts] and removing a couple of brackets there was the perfect space for the server rack case.

Made some temporary wiring connections and took the cart out for a long test drive. The 100A max discharge limit did not cause a BMS shutdown, however I was careful not to go full throttle from stopped. Pleasantly surprised the ride quality improved with the ~300lb weight reduction. Was expecting to have a stiff buckboard. I guess the springs are progressive so am now using the softer portion.

Anyone need a deal on some used Trojan T-875’s with Hydrolink watering?

Attachments

• SOK battery.jpg
    SOK battery.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Nice. I actually went with 48V, same size as Trojan batteries in my unit. My unit, however is a 1 ton 4x4 SXS, so I needed 8. I have seen 500 AMP draw on mine. But with my config, max constant draw allowed is 640, so all good. Best $ I've spent on my SXS, for sure. Increased my range from less than 10 to more than 50 miles per charge.

Nice. I actually went with 48V, same size as Trojan batteries in my unit. My unit, however is a 1 ton 4x4 SXS, so I needed 8. I have seen 500 AMP draw on mine. But with my config, max constant draw allowed is 640, so all good. Best $ I've spent on my SXS, for sure. Increased my range from less than 10 to more than 50 miles per charge.
umm i think i speak for everyone when i say we want pics!?!?! iv wanted to build an electric sxs for a while now! i have a very large forklift motor (11 inch diameter drive motor)

several youtube videos with people using batteries like that, all of which had to go 200 amp max discharge to go up hills etc. The 100amp work as long as you're on flat and not gunning it

I wish I was cool enough to have built it, LOL.

Here is the unit

Here are the batteries I used, https://bigbattery.com/products/48v-eagle-lifepo4-30ah-1-53kwh/, but they've been replaced with a newer version.
it only goes 10 miles normally??? thats terrible lol i just assumed you built it with it having limited range.. iv built a lot of interesting toys. usually it starts with a wrecked jap bike motor and i throw it on a go cart or a 4wheeler or a small buggy. but always wanted to make an electric one and then use the battery as emergency backup if i run low on power so i dont have to start the generator

it only goes 10 miles normally??? thats terrible lol i just assumed you built it with it having limited range.. iv built a lot of interesting toys. usually it starts with a wrecked jap bike motor and i throw it on a go cart or a 4wheeler or a small buggy. but always wanted to make an electric one and then use the battery as emergency backup if i run low on power so i dont have to start the generator
Yes, in my hilly terrain. Flatlands, maybe 20. Was a big PITA TBH, but once I put the lithium batteries in it, it has become the perfect vehicle for me for working on the property and hunting.

You mean like this?

I can use the SXS as an emergency battery and run the house for a few extra hours.

Yes, in my hilly terrain. Flatlands, maybe 20. Was a big PITA TBH, but once I put the lithium batteries in it, it has become the perfect vehicle for me for working on the property and hunting.

You mean like this?

I can use the SXS as an emergency battery and run the house for a few extra hours.
also i happen to have a spare eg4 3000W laying around from a camper i used to have so i plan to use that to charge my batteries and also be able to use it as either a power source in the field for power tools or to charge my house batteries

also i happen to have a spare eg4 3000W laying around from a camper i used to have so i plan to use that to charge my batteries and also be able to use it as either a power source in the field for power tools or to charge my house batteries
Yeah, I have some cheapo 2K inverter wired in to the SXS, to run tools, etc. Used it on a cement mixer last year, to pour the footers for my ground mounts. Circle of life.

Did you floor it yet? 😁
Yup, had the wife and dog with me and gunned it up a slight incline. None of us can be considered lightweights. The cart only made it a few feet before the BMS shut it down.

While I did not time it, felt like about 30 seconds before the BMS auto reset. I can live with the 100A capacity for a 1/4 the price of a golf cart-specific lithium battery.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update! Sounds one would need either two server racks or one with an upgraded BMS to get full performance from most 48v carts.

I have a 48v cart and ive measured the peak draw but i forgot it!! I do remember it pulling about 60amps when doing top speed on level ground.

My AC motor cart would draw around 35A when doing top speed on level ground. Only three minor drawbacks with the server rack conversion:
  • The 100A BMS limitation. If it really bothers me I could swap with a 200A BMS.
  • No Bluetooth on the BMS, and the display is hidden under the seat. Should I swap the BMS I will fix that too.
  • The battery turns off after 12(?) hours without load. The reset button is difficult to reach, however plugging in the charger wakes the battery.
Two server rack cases will not fit under the seat. However the SOK is easily unscrewed into two separate battery racks [without even unwiring the cells] should I want to add a second battery.

EDIT: just saw your location. My battery came from a guy in Boerne and I picked it up during a business trip.

Last edited:
I would be concerned about changing BMS. It is there to protect the cells. Sure, you could put a 500A BMS in there, but then you would be drawing from the cells at 5C, which, as I understand it, is not good.

Back