diy solar

diy solar

Setting u up 5.1kw new (to me)solar

Island solar

Hi all!
I have 20 255 watt 8.39 Imp 30.4 Vmp 37.5 Voc panels, 2 Tristar 60 amp PVM controlers, 16 T105 golf cart batteries and a Magnum 4048 (4kw, 48 volts dc) inverter.

To be honest, large solar systems are new to me question is:
Since the controlers are pvm, it's my understanding (I could have interpreted it wrong) to make the voltage input as close to the output to increase efficiency?

Will 10 banks of 2 panels (60.8 Vmp) each
Be enough voltage to bulk charge a 48vdc battery bank?
Or (please state your suggestion) if it's different.
Yes, if I had MPPT I would go with 4 panels, 5 banks.
Am I understanding this correctly?
If not, please make me understand.
Thanks and stay safe!

That sounds about right as long as you don’t have any shading issues that could make an entire string of panels useless.

And hopefully you have the right size/gauged large wire to carry that much current if you’re going to combine 2 panels in series by 10 parallel. Or a lot of smaller gauge wire if you’re planning on combining it closer to the charge controller.

it sounds more and more like mppt is the way to go, close with the pvm, but no cigar!
It would have been nice saving $700+, but, not at a cost of loosing $2000+ on solar!

I am currently using a 12/24v pwm charge controller with 3 solar panels @ 100w each Vmpp 17.9 and Impp 5.5 in parallel. I have a 30ft run of 8awg wire to my charge controller. I have 6 T105’s 2 series and 3 parallel for a 350 amp hour usable 12v battery bank. On a clear sunny day I get what I need, but on cloudy days I get shit. If you already have the gear, put it to work and see how well it does, if you don’t have the gear yet, check out Will’s videos on the cheap mppt chargers.

My small test here shows the system failing until the sun is bright.
Where can I find these videos?
I herd the make sky blue is ok, but needs to be constantly reset...

Back