diy solar

diy solar

Signature Solar Supply Store...a prototype??

Plum Crazy Rob

Solar Enthusiast
So I saw a quote James Showalter envisioned Signature Solar to become the Home Depot of DIY Solar (I believe he did say DIY, although obviously just like big box some pro installers would probably buy certain things there...)

This sure looks like a prototype store to me. Discuss?? Can they pull it off / go nationwide??

I've been in their new store and it's impressive. They have an EG4 18Kpv setup on the wall so you can see it in person. They also have a Cube stack that really caught my attention.
I'd like to see them open more of these with ever expanding product offerings. I like being able to pick up a solar related product and feel the heft, check the quality, and know it's available rather than order online and pray it makes it to my door in a timely fashion.
I view this as their commitment to the solar community and evidence that they'll be here long down the road when I need upgrades and support.

I fear DIY community isn’t that big enough to support nation wide build out.

Alas just look what happened to Alt E Store.

You also might say it will never work - permits, burning your house down, easy to get hurt - but that's all true of big box home improvement??

Also, as to whether if such a thing was possible, are SS the right group to pull it off...

If one of these promptly appears in nearby DFW I guess we'll know??

I fear DIY community isn’t that big enough to support nation wide build out.

How about one per federal reserve bank district, or federal circuit court?
Alas just look what happened to Alt E Store.
Also Radio Shack. They could have rebranded as Solar Shack if they survived a few more years.

Harder to diy grid connected systems, and deal with all the new safety requirements for a permit.

Might be able to establish a couple of warehouse outlets in a few other States (for easier shipping) but operating as a chain of retail stores would be unlikely to work. However a thought occurs to me that they could partner with a company like Graingers.

I'd like to see them start off with off-grid and/or parallel use case, which would really spur the market for both solar and going off-grid from the many grids & co-ops out there. This (mostly) avoids all the permitting & grid-connected headaches, and possibly electrician expenses, unless folks really wanted a hand.

Products ranging from solar generators to full off-grid of any size. Warranties that include bringing the product back to the place you bought it from (like we can with HD). Support that includes local/web/onsite if necessary.

On the electrician side, I'd like to see them jump on the bandwagon, and become partners with whomever does this, such that you can "buy a bundle", and get a local electrician with it who understands solar and can sort through what you've got, and where you want to end up at.

It would be helpful if they had a directory of electricians and installers willing to do limited work. Like Home Depot pro directory.

They were in business for decades and one thing or another they recently closed up shop, they catered to DIY market from the beginning (granted they never jumped on the EG4 bandwagon)

Warranties that include bringing the product back to the place you bought it from (like we can with HD). Support that includes local/web/onsite if necessary.
Definitely THIS...rather than waiting weeks, months or whatever stories we've seen here while the warranty department performs a body cavity search / turns carbon into diamonds with their sphincter...

They were in business for decades and one thing or another they recently closed up shop, they catered to DIY market from the beginning (granted they never jumped on the EG4 bandwagon)
Altestore has closed?

Altestore has closed?

Sounds like a merger and acquisition with rebranding is in the works.

Maybe that's why they had that crazy sale that then they wouldn't ship out stuff to a bunch of people ("sold already")

Maybe that's why they had that crazy sale that then they wouldn't ship out stuff to a bunch of people ("sold already")
I picked up five of their midnight 250A DC breakers for crazy prices they must have shutdown shortly after I got the shipment.

I don't know about this being like one of the big box stores. That might not be the right comparison. To me, this would be like Microcenter. They are a DIY computer parts/etc place. I think they started way back when you could only get parts from magazines (286 days?). They have maybe a dozen stores in different states now and appear to be still doing well.

Same concept to me and can be done I think.

Back