diy solar

diy solar

simple solor questions

txsjedi

I have a 100 watt panel and a 165 watt panel. Both are 12v mono. Can I use both to make 24v as long it's in the perimeter of the charge controler?

I have a 100 watt panel and a 165 watt panel. Both are 12v mono.
Can I use both to make 24v as long it's in the perimeter of the charge controler?
If the 100 watt panel and a 165 watt panel have a similar Voc then you can Series connect them if the total is in the parameter of the charge controller.
That total will be a lot more than 24v
IE: 21.6Voc x 2 = 43.2v
Your other question here had this answer so why start another question post?

@txsjedi, this is a very common cause of confusion. Consumer retail marketing advertise solar panels as "12V" and "24V" but this is just to simplify things for the masses.
A panel marketed as "12V" does NOT produce 12V, in fact they tend to produce 21.6Voc, which in turn is (usually) produced by connecting 36 individual 0.6V PV cells together in series.

The term "12V" (or "24V" or "48V") is used to combine compatible products together and is actually the 'nominal system voltage'. For example, a "12V" (nominal) battery can vary from 10V to 14.4V, a "12V" (nominal) PV panel can vary from 21.6Voc to around 19Vmp in operation and below depending on solar irradiance.

@upnorthandpersonal answered your main question regarding SCC selection.

Voc: PV Voltage Open Circuit
Vmp: PV Voltage Maximum Power

I lost my way around this site and couldn't find my answer so I thought to ask again. Sorry for the repost.

Back