diy solar

diy solar

Slow-mo filming of the magic smoke coming out !

The importance of connecting your PV panels with correct polarity. Or the inverter having reverse-polarity clamping diodes.
And paying attention to Voc.

But lithium battery with no BMS or fuse, and no pre-charge, could potentially do something like this.
Shorting a capacitor to discharge can also.

The importance of connecting your PV panels with correct polarity. Or the inverter having reverse-polarity clamping diodes.
And paying attention to Voc.
Absolutely
Shorting a capacitor to discharge can also.
Agree
But lithium battery with no BMS or fuse, and no pre-charge, could potentially do something like this.
I don't see how, if the voltage doesn't exceed the capacitors rating.

Agree

I don't see how, if the voltage doesn't exceed the capacitors rating.

Nor does zero volts.

Shorting a 60V charged capacitor to zero, or shorting a 0V discharged capacitor to 60V (with very low series resistance), what's the difference?

I'm not sure, but I think the discharge scenario causes joule heating of some part of the capacitor, shorting it. Stored energy then dumps into the material. If anything, the charging case could be worse because you have a whole battery bank behind it. Remember the guy who splattered a busbar on his golf cart pack (without blowing fuse, must have been current-limited by bad contact and plasma impedance.)

Actually, now that I think about it. Shorting a fully charged capacitor shouldn't be a problem either. This is standard practice for making them safe to handle.
I think that over voltage is the only thing that can damage them. Other than end of life failure. Or physical damage.

Actually, now that I think about it. Shorting a fully charged capacitor shouldn't be a problem either. This is standard practice for making them safe to handle.

That is what I thought, and told a colleague he could just short out a charged capacitor to discharge it. He reported the cap blew up.
It seems discharge through a resistor is advisable. Then a short can be left connected, to bleed off any recharge that occurs and electrons migrate out of the dielectric.

"If excess a rush current due to drastic charge/dis-charge was applied to conductive polymer aluminum solid electrolytic capacitors, and conductive polymer hybrid aluminum electrolytic capacitors, it may cause a short circuit or an increase in leakage current. Therefore, Please do not apply a rush current that is larger than 10A.

So if you're using the conductive polymer type, that's a clear danger. Tantalums also have a well-known propensity to self-immolate if subjected to excessive transient current."

In a similar vein, some resistors are pulse rated, some are not. I forget the exact topology, but we had some tiny SMT resistors that carried current pulse when power was first applied to a circuit, like up to 80A for 10 microseconds. Repeated switching, I was able to catch varying height pulses with scope. The resistors were failing open. Substituted "pulse rated" resistors and those survived.

Last edited:
High voltage caps use (or used to use) wax as the insulating layer. They wax molecules would slowly reorient themselves to the electrical field. After you drained the cap the wax would slowly return, effectively recharging the cap.

Back