diy solar

diy solar

Slowly charging PHEV from a solar charged battery

G-Oracle

Hi all, hopefully this is a suitable place to ask this, if not I can only apologise and please feel free to delete. I don't think this is feasible/economical but want to run it past people with more experience.

[UK based]

I'm getting a new Ford Kuga (2024) plug in hybrid soon. It has a small battery capacity offering up to 40 miles but then a normal sized petrol tank offering typical SUV range beyond that as needed.

The car can be charged through a normal household plug in 6 hours (I assume from 0% to full) or from a 7kW max home/public charger in 3 hours. Faster charging isn't supported.

40 miles, if I actually get that much, will last me on average two weeks with the driving that I do. So plugging in overnight every so often is no issue at all.

Given I drive so little and the car can charge from a normal plug I had an idea of getting some kind of solar charged big battery pack that can be left in the back garden for days slowly charging up and then when needed can be wheeled round to the front garden and plugged into the car to charge it.

I don't have and aren't looking to get right now a whole home solar/battery storage solution. It's something I'll be looking into again at some point but so far the costs just don't add up for my wider situation.

I've looked into the Anker SOLIX products but as far as I can tell they can only run high power devices for a short amount of time and wouldn't be able to run for the hours needed to charge a car.

So basically I'm asking, is there a solar chargeable battery solution that:

• Can charge a PHEV over a normal plug socket for hours at a time
  • Can be recharged over a number of days via typical southeast England weather for a reasonable amount of the year
  • Is portable enough to move around as needed
  • Is safe to use for me and the car
  • And costs little enough to make the whole venture worthwhile
Any and all insight into this is welcome and appreciated!

Ford Kuga has a 14kwh battery. If you want to charge from 0% to 100%, you need atleast a 14kwh battery which weighs around 90 kg.

Better option is a permanent setup you can plug in every day. Can you install a power line from the back garden to the front?

14kwh over 2 weeks is 1 kwh per day. Easily doable. One 300 watt panel and one 5kwh battery can do it (plus charger and inverter). Probably need 2 or 3 panels to overcome system losses, and cloudy days.

A smaller 12v or 24v system may also work. Then you can get a smaller 2.5kwh battery for daily charging. Although a 5kwh battery gives you the option to plug in once every few days, and to ride out a string of rainy days.

Back