diy solar

diy solar

So confused on charging (DC-to-DC charger vs. converter) for LifePO4

kmcintyre

I’m so confused.

I really want the Orion TR-Smart DC to DC charger but in the US they have been backordered forever so I purchased a Victron DC to DC converter hoping that I can use that to charge my LifePO4 battery.

Will the BMS "control" any overcharging? The Victron output can be adjusted to a certain voltage but there's no bulk/float/etc. profiles built in as the chargers have. I have the BMS installed from overkill.

Now I’m not sure if that is what I should have purchased as I’m concerned about overcharging the battery from my alternator. Thinking about the Renogy charger but have heard that they aren't that reliable?

BTW, I have a 120ah, 12v, lifepo4 cells (3.2v/each)

Any input?

I'll pass along my input -- but I'm sure there are others more knowledgeable who will chime in.

We use the term DC/DC converter and charger somewhat interchangeably -- but in this case we need to look at the function. Coming off an alternator, you want to LIMIT THE CURRENT to your battery bank and MAINTAIN the correct voltages for proper battery charging. This is more because these LIFEPO4 batteries will generally take as much power as an alternator can send and will burn up your alternator. We use a DC/DC charger to LIMIT that current (20amp/50amp/etc) as to not stress your alternator.

When you say DC/DC converter -- I think of the standard DC buck converter which will take higher battery voltages (24/48/etc) and BUCK it down to 12V for use in most mobile DC applications. While that has some current limiting function, Its not built to charge batteries as it won't provide the necessary voltages to do so.

I'm sure the masses will keep me honest if this is incorrect.

With that said.. I can't tell what you actually purchased so i'm unsure if that actually identifies what you bought.

I'll pass along my input -- but I'm sure there are others more knowledgeable who will chime in.

We use the term DC/DC converter and charger somewhat interchangeably -- but in this case we need to look at the function. Coming off an alternator, you want to LIMIT THE CURRENT to your battery bank and MAINTAIN the correct voltages for proper battery charging. This is more because these LIFEPO4 batteries will generally take as much power as an alternator can send and will burn up your alternator. We use a DC/DC charger to LIMIT that current (20amp/50amp/etc) as to not stress your alternator.

When you say DC/DC converter -- I think of the standard DC buck converter which will take higher battery voltages (24/48/etc) and BUCK it down to 12V for use in most mobile DC applications. While that has some current limiting function, Its not built to charge batteries as it won't provide the necessary voltages to do so.

I'm sure the masses will keep me honest if this is incorrect.

With that said.. I can't tell what you actually purchased so i'm unsure if that actually identifies what you bought.

Thanks. I purchased the following. My plan was to connect it to my truck and use it to charge my LifePO4 batteries from the alternator.
Victron Orion-Tr Dc-Dc Converter - 12 Vdc To 12 Vdc - 18amp Isolated
SKU: VICORI121222110

Took a quick look at the manual and yes you can use it as a battery charger if you adjust the output voltage to 14.2 (3.55v per cell) but the remote on/off needs to be hooked into your starting/running circuit or it'll drain your vehicle battery down to the 7volt unit shutoff. You will need to find a circuit in the vehicle that turns on with the engine and back off when engine is shut down. You may need a relay with isolated input/output to switch the remote on/off the relay would energize and close the switch when the engine powered circuit comes on and then de-energize when engine off.

Took a quick look at the manual and yes you can use it as a battery charger if you adjust the output voltage to 14.2 (3.55v per cell) but the remote on/off needs to be hooked into your starting/running circuit or it'll drain your vehicle battery down to the 7volt unit shutoff. You will need to find a circuit in the vehicle that turns on with the engine and back off when engine is shut down. You may need a relay with isolated input/output to switch the remote on/off the relay would energize and close the switch when the engine powered circuit comes on and then de-energize when engine off.

Thanks. I think I'll return it and get a DC to DC charger. Since the victron is out of stock I may have to get the renogy.

I just purchased this product and intend to use it as a converter. I’m going to put a breaker on the positive side between the alternator and the converter, and I’ll use the breaker to turn it on or off depending on whether the vehicle is on and my desire to charge. Not a big deal.

I don't know the prices over there, but here in the Netherlands some are in stock. (Not al, some are listed as 'soon back')

This one eg has the Smart 18A in stock

If anyone wants, I can send them, but that will be quite expensive (Shipping costs is almost 30 EUR, excluding any import dutys)

I just purchased this product and intend to use it as a converter. I’m going to put a breaker on the positive side between the alternator and the converter, and I’ll use the breaker to turn it on or off depending on whether the vehicle is on and my desire to charge. Not a big deal.
The trouble with doing things 'manually' is sooner or later you'll forget to turn it off.

Well, for the record, the two non smart Orions I’ve installed in parallel are working great. Not bad for an -on-the-Road emergency replacement of the previous sterling charger (crappy product which maybe I’ll post more about later). I think I’ll type up a nice warning sign for myself that I’ll post at the ignition warming me to disconnect the orions.

Back