diy solar

diy solar

So out of my element... help an IT guy figure it out?

Another point on power needs, 130w for a chainsaw seems very low. Consider 1hp ~= 750w of energy. No chain saw is 100% efficient there either. So I don't imagine you have a 1/6th or so hp chainsaw.

Instead I'd immagine you've measured the free speed power draw of the chainsaw, rather than the power draw while cutting a log. This again will throw your numbers off by a very good amount if I'm correct. Apologies if I'm wrong
It's just a little battery operated saw that is basically the limb trimmer. Anything of significant diameter and I pull out the gas saw.

Sort of. The Charge Controller is separate from Solar vs Generator/Turbine. Each will have it's own charge controller. They are separate components. I also don't get why there is a "Charge Controller" just before the Batteries? It is usually part of the Charge Controller. The "12V Converter" is also part of the Inverter, unless it's a system that is really cobbled together of entirely separate components. Personally, I would not follow that diagram to put together a system.

For solar, a MPPT Charge Controller is recommended (vs PWM) and for a Generator/Turbine a good quality Low Frequency Inverter usually has a Charger / Controller function that a generator can be wired into. But it's not a given, so you need to read the Inverter specs and look for one that has the Inverter/Charger combo.

You can research Off Grid "Kits" with the functions that you want (excluding AiO's) and it will help guide you and inform you of the components required. After that, it depends on your budget to cobble the desired components together.

Thanks for the replies. They made me realize that I don't have a full grasp on the theory so I've decided to take a step sideways and get a handle on that before continuing this. I would appreciate your input in that thread if you're willing to continue the conversation. Thanks!

Back