diy solar

diy solar

SOK 48V an HONEST review in 2 Stories

gmakhs

I will keep the review as less emotional as possible and try to stick to the facts .

After seeing the good reviews of the SOK 48V battery, i ordered mine from https://www.europe.sokbattery.com/, before i order i asked 2 questions 1 was if the battery is supported by victron and the shipping time.

The answer to the victron was yes, and shipping time should have been 1 month.
I proceeded with the order, and shipping time was 2 months and a bit more, which made the beginning of the bad experience.
On arrival and after connecting the battery, I realized that it wasn't supported by CerboGx, and on contact with the manufacturer, I was redirected to the "Current Connected" article about it.

Since that was something to be fixed, and though it made the experience salty, there was a way to bypass the issue, so i kept using the battery and waited for the Victron update (which, 6 months after, hasn't been released on the stable version yet).

Meanwhile, while charging, I noticed that the battery wouldn't charge over 55 volts and also will trigger the High voltage alarm and disconnect related article can be found here: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/sok-48v-100-a-wont-balance-the-cells.53139/page-3#post-714801

Current connected did jump in and did their best to help me solve the issue "FOR FREE" even though i was not even their client (remember i bought directly from SOK).
The current connected arranged so a comm wire is sent to me so i can modify some parameters in the BMS and achieve cell balance and full capacity of the battery, the cable had to be sent twice and current Connected was always fast to reply to my emails.

Now while playing around with the battery screen i noticed that my battery had a cell that was always super high, so i decided to contact SOK about the issue and ask for a refund, replacement, or for them to pay for the repair needed.

In return (and if someone i can share screens of the emails) SOK official support never asked to run any troubleshooting or sent them cells voltages the answers i got and i quote were:
"no one has complained so far and we sold a thousand batteries"
"You have setup the CrboGX wrong"
"No warranty"
As you understand keeping in mind that cerboGX get the charge voltage directly with comms from the BMS there was nothing wrong with my setup, on my frustration i decided to share my experience on the SOK Facebook page, after some more arguments i received no replacement for this cell or battery.

In the end after posting that SOK doesn't honor warranty I even got kicked out of the group.

Now after Replacing that cell on my own COST the battery finally is balanced though it still gives a high voltage warning alarm at 57.5V (atleast it doesnt cut off)

Those are my positive (Thanks to the current connected and Negative thanks to SOK ) experiences, would i buy i again ? NO
a product in my opinion is as good as the people standing behind it, if a company denies your warranty claim without even putting you through troubleshooting they are shady in the least.

You wanted a refund because your battery was out of balance? Was it still pulling full capacity?

Regular use and fully charging the battery several times and it will continue to get better. Like stated above, 57.5v is very high, I personally charge to 55.2v.

A number of disconnects here that I can't puzzle out ...

1. SOK Europe website ... has numerous details on it.
- "returns/refund" page basically says you have until 30 days after purchase to return it for a full refund, minus s&h (kind of like Amazon here in the states). The burden is on the buyer to hurry up and sort through issues within that 30-day period, which I think is reasonable (but I'm a diy kind of person in the first place). I think this is the purchase model by which most things will go these days ...
- support page (at this website) lists a "facebook/support" kind of url ... what the heck kind of vendor support system is that? I wouldn't have bought, and I submit none of you should've bought, based on vendor support pages like that. you either have to be self-supporting, or you have to see a lot more self-service pages and services from the vendor. Don't buy from a website with that kind of support model on their webpages.

2. the sok battery (I bought my two 12v100ah batteries over 2 years ago now, off of Amazon) have been great. I am a self-service kind of person, and the key attribute for me (my choices, trade-offs, expectations), for these batteries, are that everything is field-replaceable (an FRU, basically). If you don't like something about this battery, open it up and fix it or upgrade it yourself. Replace the BMS with a better one ... one that has the features to do what you ultimately want to do. Very few other batteries let you go to this level, unless you built it entirely yourself. Very few products, almost zero, let you do this ...

3. in the states, apparently sok has worked a deal with currentconnected.com (CC) where CC is the only distributor. This is a good thing in the sense that CC is doing all kinds of things to really support these batteries. If sok wants CC to be the support face of sok batteries, that's OK by me. it sounds like no distributor has stepped up to the plate in EU yet ... but still a good battery to buy for many other reasons.

I also bought some AmpereTime (now LiTime) batteries (12v300ah) ... feature-wise, support-wise, they seemed reasonable, had local warehouses, so I took a chance. You can't open up these batteries. One bms acted weird, and after some troubleshooting back & forth, they replaced the entire battery on their nickel, and even pre-paid for the return shipping. I knew all of this going in (per their website), and it bore out in the actual process ... good on them.

Over in EU, the sok webpages list all kinds of videos done by other folks that purport to show Howto info, quality of their product, etc. I further submit that any company doing this, is a bit of a red flag. They are producing product, but not fully supporting them yet ...

It just pays to do all kinds of homework on the vendor, their website, their product, etc. ... *before the purchase*. Failure to do so means issues down the line, before you even get into choices, trade-offs, expectations of "why" you bought this battery over any other one. If there is a feature you must have, you better see it being done somewhere else, the exact way you want to do it, before you buy, or you have just 30-days to send it back.

Lessons for all of us, wrt product(s) from China ...

No one besides manufacturers recommend charging that high. They only do it so people don't complain about the capacity testing 1-2% low at more reasonable charge voltages.
The BMS itself instructs cerbogx to charge at that voltage .

Why replace the cell? Sounds like it just needed to balance for a few days.

The cell wouldn't balance after few months in use, local shop said is faulty.

A number of disconnects here that I can't puzzle out ...

1. SOK Europe website ... has numerous details on it.
- "returns/refund" page basically says you have until 30 days after purchase to return it for a full refund, minus s&h (kind of like Amazon here in the states). The burden is on the buyer to hurry up and sort through issues within that 30-day period, which I think is reasonable (but I'm a diy kind of person in the first place). I think this is the purchase model by which most things will go these days ...
- support page (at this website) lists a "facebook/support" kind of url ... what the heck kind of vendor support system is that? I wouldn't have bought, and I submit none of you should've bought, based on vendor support pages like that. you either have to be self-supporting, or you have to see a lot more self-service pages and services from the vendor. Don't buy from a website with that kind of support model on their webpages.

2. the sok battery (I bought my two 12v100ah batteries over 2 years ago now, off of Amazon) have been great. I am a self-service kind of person, and the key attribute for me (my choices, trade-offs, expectations), for these batteries, are that everything is field-replaceable (an FRU, basically). If you don't like something about this battery, open it up and fix it or upgrade it yourself. Replace the BMS with a better one ... one that has the features to do what you ultimately want to do. Very few other batteries let you go to this level, unless you built it entirely yourself. Very few products, almost zero, let you do this ...

3. in the states, apparently sok has worked a deal with currentconnected.com (CC) where CC is the only distributor. This is a good thing in the sense that CC is doing all kinds of things to really support these batteries. If sok wants CC to be the support face of sok batteries, that's OK by me. it sounds like no distributor has stepped up to the plate in EU yet ... but still a good battery to buy for many other reasons.

I also bought some AmpereTime (now LiTime) batteries (12v300ah) ... feature-wise, support-wise, they seemed reasonable, had local warehouses, so I took a chance. You can't open up these batteries. One bms acted weird, and after some troubleshooting back & forth, they replaced the entire battery on their nickel, and even pre-paid for the return shipping. I knew all of this going in (per their website), and it bore out in the actual process ... good on them.

Over in EU, the sok webpages list all kinds of videos done by other folks that purport to show Howto info, quality of their product, etc. I further submit that any company doing this, is a bit of a red flag. They are producing product, but not fully supporting them yet ...

It just pays to do all kinds of homework on the vendor, their website, their product, etc. ... *before the purchase*. Failure to do so means issues down the line, before you even get into choices, trade-offs, expectations of "why" you bought this battery over any other one. If there is a feature you must have, you better see it being done somewhere else, the exact way you want to do it, before you buy, or you have just 30-days to send it back.

Lessons for all of us, wrt product(s) from China ...

Though you are right they do offer a 10 years warranty where I was expecting them to honour and at least ask for some troubleshooting and send any part that might need replacement, telling you directly "no warranty" is something I never experienced before even with Chinese sellers .

In any case all those facts in the end is lesson learnt.

Back