diy solar

diy solar

SOK bluetooth password

SOK told one user they will not give out the PW that allows the user to change the settings. If anyone finds it, please let us know.

CurrentConnected sent me a link for passwords but it is very limited for consumers. ’Basic settings’ password is 200010 but beyond that, word is SOK does not let us go there.

Last edited:
OK I found the link. Some good information. Questions section has other passwords but I was not successful.

Basic settings password is posted. Parameters settings is not and has a tattletale if any settings are changed. It sets a flag in the BMS so we know not to warranty any damages caused by a lack of protection at the factory set point.

I’ve been asked for it many times and the reason nearly every time is because the customer wants to limit charging to only 80% for better lifespan…this is the wrong place to make a change like that, and I don’t recommend only charging to 80% anyway because then the BMS never has a chance to balance the cells.

I suspect SOK is hiding their parameters, so you can not see it. They are using aggressive setting for max life cycles and not max capacity. To argue that they don't want you to make changes is questionable. They can set it up so one can at least reading the settings but can not make changes. Their BMS can charge up to 70amp and discharge to 120amp, but they limited it, with publish specs. The SOK 206 has issue with balancing.

It would not be too much to brute force it I would imagine assuming its 8 chars are so...

I suspect SOK is hiding their parameters, so you can not see it. They are using aggressive setting for max life cycles and not max capacity. To argue that they don't want you to make changes is questionable.
That's not true at all. Here are all the default parameters - they are extremely typical for LiFePO4 batteries:
3e70649cc87bf999e5a3dbe66c23021.jpg1675875475143.jpeg

The SOK 206 has issue with balancing.
Yes, I was talking with SOC tech support about their balancing and it turns out it only balances during charge. With the tiny passive balance circuit, this does not give the balance circuit time to actually do the balance. The way it should work is that the balance circuit turns on as soon as one cell hits 3.4V and the cell differential is above some small value (20mv or less). The balance should then stay on till either the balance is complete or all cells are below 3.4 V.

The guy I talked to kinda implied they are going to fix it in firmware. When I asked about a firmware update he said the BMS does not have the capability to do field FW updates.

This was all several months ago. Hopefully newer units have the Firmware fix..... but who knows.

Last week sent them a question asking if there is a similar issue with their server-rack batteries but never heard back.

I suspect SOK is hiding their parameters, so you can not see it.
They are not hiding the settings, but they have made a business decision that they do not want customers to change them. I can understand that because some people will get it all screwed up and then expect SOK to help them fix it.... or blame SOK for problems. However, the decision comes with the consequence that they will drive away some people in the DIY space.

Yes, I was talking with SOC tech support about their balancing and it turns out it only balances during charge. With the tiny passive balance circuit, this does not give the balance circuit time to actually do the balance. The way it should work is that the balance circuit turns on as soon as one cell hits 3.4V and the cell differential is above some small value (20mv or less). The balance should then stay on till either the balance is complete or all cells are below 3.4 V.

The guy I talked to kinda implied they are going to fix it in firmware. When I asked about a firmware update he said the BMS does not have the capability to do field FW updates.

This was all several months ago. Hopefully newer units have the Firmware fix..... but who knows.

Last week sent them a question asking if there is a similar issue with their server-rack batteries but never heard back.
The latest BMSs in the 12v batteries use a 33 ohm resistors, so they dissipate right around a tenth of an amp (100ma). After about 6-10 cycles, it's more than enough to bring things into line. Most BMSs only have a 20-40ma balance current.

The 48v batteries use a 43 ohm, but function in the same fashion.

The latest BMSs in the 12v batteries use a 33 ohm resistors, so they dissipate right around a tenth of an amp. After about 6-10 cycles, it's more than enough to bring things into line. Most BMSs only have a 20-40ma balance current.

The 48v batteries use a 43 ohm, but function in the same fashion.
Even 100ma is not enough if the balance circuit only runs during charge. Do you know what the balance turn-on/off algorithm is for the batteries? Have they fixed the problem of the balance circuit only being on during charge?

I got the new one and it definetly work better, instead of 350mv, on original BMS, so far I manage to get it down to 110mv. However, it stop the charger CMOS is grey and when PROT State is green, then the Balance Stautus is green but doesn't do anything until internal voltage drop below 13.88 vdc. Next to the V Differ there is a new icon called Balance Status.

It did a great job balancing from zero percent to 98 percent, then it started to drift apart. If your charger goes into Absorption 14.4 or so, the BMS shut down until Absorption end. During float at 13.8 I notice it start slowly to balance. Waiting to see if it get better than 110mv. The cell voltage is still 3.4. I like to see at least 3.45 vdc

I got the new one and it definetly work better, instead of 350mv, on original BMS, so far I manage to get it down to 110mv. However, it stop the charger CMOS is grey and when PROT State is green, then the Balance Stautus is green but doesn't do anything until internal voltage drop below 13.88 vdc. Next to the V Differ there is a new icon called Balance Status.

It did a great job balancing from zero percent to 98 percent, then it started to drift apart. If your charger goes into Absorption 14.4 or so, the BMS shut down until Absorption end. During float at 13.8 I notice it start slowly to balance. Waiting to see if it get better than 110mv. The cell voltage is still 3.4. I like to see at least 3.45 vdc
That sounds like they may have fixed the algorithm.

Even 100ma is not enough if the balance circuit only runs during charge. Do you know what the balance turn-on/off algorithm is for the batteries? Have they fixed the problem of the balance circuit only being on during charge?
With A grade cells? I disagree - based on the fact that the with this amount of current the batteries in the field always balance out after less than a dozen cycles. The balancers turn on above 3.4v, during charge, if cell deviation is 20mv or above. If you take a brand new battery and do an extended absorb for about 6 hours, the BMS will have balancing dialed in perfectly.

No issue with that. That not what happening with the SOK 206, original BMS, but so far an improvement with new one. Now do a person buy one now, then ask for new BMS and install yourself. Depending where you live, you end up paying custom on warranty part.

Before one buy an SOK, you need to bluetooth and check version before buying. Any other options?

With A grade cells? I disagree
I guess we will agree to disagree

based on the fact that the with this amount of current the batteries in the field always balance out after less than a dozen cycles.
Not the SOKs I was working with.

If you take a brand new battery and do an extended absorb for about 6 hours, the BMS will have balancing dialed in perfectly.
I have not tried an extended absorb like that, but .... Once the batteries reach the absorb voltage, the current will go to near zero. If the BMS is only charging balancing during charge it would detect this as 'no charge'. If the BMS only balances during charge, then the cells would not be balanced for most of that 6 hours. However, there is a scenario where the long absorb will make a difference. If the newer shipping batteries don't require a charge current to balance, an extended absorb time would keep the cells from drifting down to the resting voltage below the balance turn-off voltage and keep the balancer working. Your claim actually implies that the defect has been fixed in the newer batteries.

Last edited:
Back