diy solar

diy solar

Solar 1.5kw 220v spek pump running on solar

Exploding Haggis

Hi - Brand new to this, I am looking at putting this system in 6 x 340w solar panels, a 230v solar controller 1.5kw single phase
The theory is, the power is controlled, via the solar controller, the pump runs my jacuzzi with a cartridge filter, I have two solar water heaters (tube collectors)mounted on the roof next to the pump, the head is about 8feet, I am going to see a demo of this system this coming week.

The pump wont run all day every day, but for short periods +- 4hrs

Is there a way I can T into the panels to use the solar power available to run other electrical appliances (lights, tv, a fridge) when not using the solar controller ?

I live in Johannesburg South Africa, where we have constant blackouts, the municipality cuts our power at various time during the day, from 2hrs to 4hrs at a time, this is not just households but everything within the designated zone, traffic lights, businesses, hospitals, everything, no water can be pumped to fill reservoirs, so having an alternative is a must.
Hope you guys can help

I have attached the info page for the controller

Attachments

• 230V-Solar-Pump-Controller_3kW-3-Ph_1_5kW-Single phase info page 1.pdf
    52.1 KB · Views: 6
Looking at the controller spec sheet, I am not quite sure what exactly you have? Is it the 230V AC model? Here in the US, I'm powering my well-pump with a split-phase 120V/240V AC inverter, 240V AC going to the pump and 120V AC going to the household outlets. It has worked well for me.

Considering your problem of constant blackouts, I'm inclined to say create an off-grid system that can power everything via 230V AC. Then you can seamlessly run the well-pump during routine day to day operations.

I'd suggest though that 2040W of solar is going to be inadequate for a whole-house system that can run the pump and power the whole home. I'd look into upgrading to at least 9 or better yet 12 of those 340W panels.

What I think will work for you is a hybrid inverter that can receive grid-power when available, but switch to battery power when a blackout occurs. A 48V battery bank with ~400-500Ah of capacity, and an inverter that can handle a 6000W starting surge. Outback, Schneider, Samlex, and Victron make high-quality low-frequency inverters that can handle the starting surge of well-pumps.

What might help reduce the total number of panels you need is to mount them on rotating mounts like this. You can rotate the arrays Eastward in the morning, and Westward in the afternoon. Doing this myself, I can run my pump from ~8AM till ~4PM, with zero battery depletion.

Depending on what inverter/charge controller you get, you could wire three or four panels in series, with say 4S3P for a 12 panel group of arrays.

Attachments

• array frame snip.jpg
    array frame snip.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0780.JPG
    IMG_0780.JPG
    342.5 KB · Views: 2
Looking at the controller spec sheet, I am not quite sure what exactly you have? Is it the 230V AC model? Here in the US, I'm powering my well-pump with a split-phase 120V/240V AC inverter, 240V AC going to the pump and 120V AC going to the household outlets. It has worked well for me.

Considering your problem of constant blackouts, I'm inclined to say create an off-grid system that can power everything via 230V AC. Then you can seamlessly run the well-pump during routine day to day operations.

I'd suggest though that 2040W of solar is going to be inadequate for a whole-house system that can run the pump and power the whole home. I'd look into upgrading to at least 9 or better yet 12 of those 340W panels.

What I think will work for you is a hybrid inverter that can receive grid-power when available, but switch to battery power when a blackout occurs. A 48V battery bank with ~400-500Ah of capacity, and an inverter that can handle a 6000W starting surge. Outback, Schneider, Samlex, and Victron make high-quality low-frequency inverters that can handle the starting surge of well-pumps.

What might help reduce the total number of panels you need is to mount them on rotating mounts like this. You can rotate the arrays Eastward in the morning, and Westward in the afternoon. Doing this myself, I can run my pump from ~8AM till ~4PM, with zero battery depletion.

Depending on what inverter/charge controller you get, you could wire three or four panels in series, with say 4S3P for a 12 panel group of arrays.
The controller is a 230v (we use 220v here) it can be configured to three phase (rural supply) or single phase , our supply.
The pump runs my jacuzzi, so I don't need it on all the time, my thought was to use it to run the jacuzzi during the day when needed, and when not in use use the solar via an inverter to run odd things. To reduce my electricity cost, I have already shaved off R1,000 off our bill
Or orientation here is due North (southern hemisphere) I will mount the panels on my "aafdakkie" (car port} which is quite near my rec room and jacuzzi. That receives sun all day

Solar here is scary expensive, I would love to have a larger system, and to be fair the guys that make the solar controller suggested a 5kw system
I will look at all your suggestions and cost them.
Thanks for the feedback, I have uploaded the complete manual (I thought it would be too big)
Robbie

Attachments

• 230V-Solar-Pump-Controller_3kW-3-Ph_1_5kW-Single-Phase-Manual-Version-2018-4.pdf
    5.1 MB · Views: 5
Back