diy solar

diy solar

Solar Assistant Pi Died After 3 Days

Instead of the cheap buck converts I have started to use isolated dc-dc converters from MeanWell. I get mine from Mouser. 5vdc for the Pi's, 12vdc for the opnsense box and Insight Gateway and 24vdc for some network gear. Not to say that they are failure proof but maybe better odds of not passing 50vdc to my other gear. And cheap enough for a little bit more peace of mind.

I had no response from Watts as of today (Thursday, I e-mailed them Saturday) so I reached out to Solar Assistant support and explained what happened. They replied within hours and are sending a warranty replacement.

I guess the lesson is don't buy it from Watts, either buy it direct from Solar Assistant and save $60, or buy an Orange Pi 3 LTS from Amazon for $60 and buy the $55 license from Solar Assistant, install it yourself and save $125 over buying it from Watts.

He might be a bit busy fending off the SS lawyers lol
Who knows, no shortage of drama in this little niche market I'm sure...

I'd hope I could at least a "not our problem contact Solar Assistant" from them, but I guess instead I get to wait for international shipping to replace a failed piece of hardware and probably eat my one free license transfer to boot. Doesn't exactly encourage me to buy anything in the future from Watts.

Update: New Pi and power supply arrived today from Solar Assistant direct, it shipped from a USA location instead of internationally. No SD card was included and it forced me to burn my one free license transfer. I can't say I'm thrilled with the outcome but it's better than nothing. Buyer beware the limitations of the warranty support for this product:

1.) You get one (1) warranty replacement for failed hardware. If it fails again regardless of timeline you're on your own.
2.) You have one (1) free license transfer to new hardware, and hardware failure, even under warranty, does not release you from this limitation.

Watts Support never replied, I don't know if my e-mail ended up in their spam filter or what.

Update: New Pi and power supply arrived today from Solar Assistant direct, it shipped from a USA location instead of internationally. No SD card was included and it forced me to burn my one free license transfer. I can't say I'm thrilled with the outcome but it's better than nothing. Buyer beware the limitations of the warranty support for this product:

1.) You get one (1) warranty replacement for failed hardware. If it fails again regardless of timeline you're on your own.
2.) You have one (1) free license transfer to new hardware, and hardware failure, even under warranty, does not release you from this limitation.

Watts Support never replied, I don't know if my e-mail ended up in their spam filter or what.
I would give Ian a call then. There's no reason why you should be stuck losing your free transfer due to faulty hardware.

I don't see anything on the site about 1 transfer to new hardware, including in their software end user agreement.

Oh wait, it's on the side..... That's a snaky way to do that. Until you have a reason to transfer, you would likely not read the limitation in the transfer directions. If they are going to limit you , it should be in the description of purchasing the software.

Last edited:
I agree that using their hardware in a supported configuration shouldn’t trigger the license transfer clause.

If anyone else is using SA on a Pi with their DC input kit, it really seems like you should fuse the input downstream of the voltage converter to avoid cooking your board.

This is all on what's 247, it's a pity that you haven't received resolution through them. I would make sure that the solar assistant guy knows all about your predicament.
Also I'm really not all that jazzed on the orange pies, but options are limited at the moment.

One thing you have to be careful of is high voltage spikes from connected devices on data lines.

Usually, but not always, there are opto-isolators on digital data I/O's of inverters and BMS's to prevent this.

Raspberry Pi and other microcontroller boards do not have strong ESD protection on their I/O's so if you live in a low humidity environment with a lot of static electricity build up problems you have to be especially careful when plugging in cables, drawing an ESD zap.

Would be useful if Solar Assistant would support Odroid devices such as the N2+ which support a wide voltage range of 7.5V ~ 18V.

Would be useful if Solar Assistant would support Odroid devices such as the N2+ which support a wide voltage range of 7.5V ~ 18V.
No, that is just input power supply range, not what I/O's ports can take.

This is all on what's 247, it's a pity that you haven't received resolution through them. I would make sure that the solar assistant guy knows all about your predicament.
Also I'm really not all that jazzed on the orange pies, but options are limited at the moment.
Why would you not like one of the most powerful pi computers available?

You only need the Orange Pi 3 LTS for video output is my understanding, it will run on other Pis fine. They are cheap at least, I paid $61 on Amazon for the Pi, the case, and power supply. You can easily spend $200 on a Raspberry Pi, especially right now with the shortages. Not exactly a computing powerhouse but it runs Solar Assistant with no performance issues I've seen so far.

The orange one I have works flawless and since I can monitor every single piece of it since I tweaked the image before installing it I know its happy :)

No over heating and no power issues. Also I back up the entire operating system/file system from time to time so restoring it if needed will be a breeze too.

As mentioned the pi's are cheap too and if you choose to go above the pi 3 lts they are VERY powerful for pi computers. 8 cores and 32 gig of ram is nothing to sneeze at in such a small package.

I picked up Solar Assistant pre-loaded on an OrangePi from Watts 247, got it set up and connected to my inverter and batteries with no issue, linked it to Home Assistant with no issues and it ran fine for 5 days. Day 5 it suddenly dropped offline. I went to reboot it with the old unplug/replug and nearly burned my hand on the power connector where it went into the Pi. I yanked the cord and the underside of the Pi was also very hot, as was the power supply (this is the DC to DC power supply that comes with the Solar Assistant bundle).

I figured it was toast considering the thing was too hot to touch when I found it, but I waited for the Pi to cool off then plugged it into the power supply from my Home Assistant Pi and crossed my fingers. No luck. I suspect the buck converter in the power supply failed and dumped full battery voltage into the Pi. Now instead of an Orange Pi I have a Charcoal Pi.

Anyone else had this happen? I e-mailed Watts on Saturday but no response yet (no surprise it's only been 1 business day). I'd just put it on another Pi for now but of course Solar Assistant licensing is ridiculous and I don't want to burn my 1 free license transfer because of a hardware failure on a 5 day old product.
You can transfer the license to a new pi.

Back