diy solar

diy solar

Solar Disconnect

BillN

Do they make a 3 way solar disconnect (disconnect panels from solar controller and a third option to output to an ecoflow solar generalor)

1 - off
2 - output to solar controller
3 - output to a solar generator

A 600vac transfer switch is rated for 250vdc.
But they are expensive.
A lot cheaper to use two DC rated breakers and fabricate your own interlock.

I use them for AC, but they aren't rated for high voltage DC.
Or at least I haven't seen any that are.
I understand for circuit breakers there's a big difference as the arc from DC continues at a longer distance.
Is that the same concern with these switches? That when switching it wouldn't actually disconnect them or something?

I understand for circuit breakers there's a big difference as the arc from DC continues at a longer distance.
Is that the same concern with these switches? That when switching it wouldn't actually disconnect them or something?
Correct

Perhaps two imo disconnects with y adaptors to split the PV input to both? Totally manual and potentially error prone.

Do they make a 3 way solar disconnect (disconnect panels from solar controller and a third option to output to an ecoflow solar generalor)

1 - off
2 - output to solar controller
3 - output to a solar generator
Morningstar made one for a grid tie setup but probably could be adapted to switch array output to a different load. It wasn't cheap either.

I've been looking for one as I'm adding more PV and would like the ability to change PV from the shop to house system or vice versa. You can find similar to the Eaton double throw rated up to 250VDC but higher voltage the only thing I have seen is the Morningstar. Then there is the cheap import rotary stuff, I'm very leery of the arc chute and arc breaking capability. One might be able to use a pair of IMO disconnects with a tie rod between the versions with a lever.

One solution was in this thread where I mentioned switching PV to another system. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/solar-pv-array-switching.74450/post-942828

Back