diy solar

diy solar

Solar newbie checking in with my 11.5kw solar panel system

ozziegn

So here's my recently installed 11.5kw solar panel system. It consists of 35, 330w CanadianSolar panels along with 35 Enphase iQ7 microinverters. I researched this subject for almost a year before making the plunge. One of my best friends had his system installed almost a year ago and he's been happy so far with the company that did his. Therefore I decided to go with the same company he did. I thought about ordering the entire kit and doing the whole DIY thing. I then realized I wouldn't have the patience for the other pieces of the solar puzzle process as in permitting, engineering plans and most importantly dealing with any possible equipment warranty issues that might happen down the road. The company who sold and installed the system told me they'll take 100% ownership on the entire setup for 20 years. Of course that's assuming they're still around in 20 years. Nonetheless, the system is installed and I'm waiting on my electric company to install their net meter so I can start using the system.

IMG_0003.jpeg

IMG_0004.jpg

Last edited:
When it comes out of beta you can replace one of your iq7's with the iq8 allowing you to power your system when the sun is out and the grid is down. Should only be about $1200 to get the iq8 and the disconnect. enphase also has a new battery option to go fully off-grid.

When it comes out of beta you can replace one of your iq7's with the iq8 allowing you to power your system when the sun is out and the grid is down. Should only be about $1200 to get the iq8 and the disconnect. enphase also has a new battery option to go fully off-grid.

Can you elaborate on the iQ8 thing for $1200? So they can produce power when the grid goes down? How do they allow that? It's my understanding the iQ7 inverters shut down when the grid goes out so they won't backfeed to the grid possibly hurting linemen.

iq8 will allow you to "black start" your system, When that happens it would disconnect your house from the grid. iq8 will be about $350 and another $500-1000 for the disconnect. Enphase also has a transformer it might add to the disconnect to help with phase imbalance I guess most people seem to have. Still in beta and disconnect design seems up in the air. iq8 was supposed to be out by now.

You definitely have my attention with the whole iQ8 thing. It's really depressing in knowing my $45K solar system won't be worth a bag of beans when my grid goes down. It seems like the iQ8 could change that.

You won't have to replace your IQ7's, Enphase's Ensemble is backwards compatible with them. See:

So essentially the Enphase Encharge is a power wall correct? Difference is it has the ability to keep solar panels working in the event of a power failure on the grid side with the help of the imbedded iQ8 inverters. Of course the system would also be used with the Enpower switch which would make it safe for the linemen workers and whatnot.

Correct?

I believe so, it also has the Envoy, which operates as the brain. There's a bit more discussion on the tech in Incrementally Adding AC Batteries as the next question is, how do I expand the battery next year, am I always locked into Enphase? So far I believe the answer is, I don't know.

Back