diy solar

diy solar

Solar on a boat - realistic solar watt numbers

danphillips

ok, I'm new to solar and wondering if someone could give me some realistic estimations on what to expect for watt hours per day might be.

Lets use a single 300w solar cell, mounted horizontally with no shadows (it's a power boat and I'm considering 3 total panels, but let's use one for now)

I'm located in the North Carolina / South Carolina Beach area. My travels will be north up the intercoastal waterway and south down to florida. I know that the power generated will vary a lot by season and location.

My question is "How many watt hours could someone expect from a single 300w solar panel using current day equipment?" I know weather and time of year will considerably affect results. I'm just looking for a best guess.

Can you estimate output maybe by season or by month? Any advice is more than welcome!

Projected electrical power systems for our 35 ft boat -
Solar 300-900 watts of panels
Magnum 2810 inverter charger
300wh (or more) Lifepo4 12v batteries
6KW generator (used for heating water, electric stove and air conditioning)
Not to sure about using the engine alternator in the equation as we may be anchored for several days between travels.

Thanks in advance for your considerations....

300watt panels average 40ish volts output, so good candidates for mppt charging 12v banks. Low sun angle should get 50watts in, high noon close to 250W... so I’d figure 50 watts all day, and some peak 200+ 2 to 4 hour bumps...
Average 8 hour days, should net you 1200Wh...

Figure it with what comes in from 10 to 4pm . Other times its all over Full sun 6 hours @ 200 watts = 1200 watts.

divide the solar panel watts by 3 and you will get the daily output in amp hrs. 300 watts will provide 100amp hours (12v) or 1200 watt hours

Thank you all, I'm trying to determine if the cost of installation and the solar system would be worth the money, or just use the generator for 1 hour a day and charge the battery, make hot water and cook, all at the same time

Back