diy solar

diy solar

Solar panel security/anti-theft

If you have something you want to get rid of that the garbage truck won't haul off, set it out on the street and put a for sale sign on it. Tweakers will have it hauled off by sunrise. Works in reverse for stuff you want to keep. ...put a For Free sign on it.
I have actually done that behind my store with stuff I couldn’t put in dumpster….I put a note on it for the manager to be sure and move it inside before dark as I paid 60 bucks for it ….and then I o would leave it out side…….it always disappears off into the night with some sneak thief thinking he’s got somthing…
if I put no note it , it will sit there forever..
seriously , ya gotta out think them.

With half my brain tied behind my back.
Them city rascals drove up near my area and brought a truck with the company name on the side of who owned it and stole all the aluminum siding off this guys house up to about 7 ft high shile he was at work …( they forgot a ladder or they would have gotten more.. )
their truck was found later as the ring camera took pics of it parked there…
don’t underestimate how dumb some people are…

Last edited:
Rubber 50 cal on opposing corners of the sea container?

Now THAT is something a Crack head would steal!

I like the idea of flat panels on the container surrounded bu metal to hide them from view, and held down with security bolts blue locktited in...

Get a mig welder with stainless wire, many will run off of a 5 K generator, put the ground clamp on the bolt head on the outside of the panel and then touch the tip to the end of the thread under the panel. That effectively makes it so the nuts will not come off as the thread is destroyed but the nuts can be loosened a bit. It would be a bitch to get them off but loosen the nut, slide a piece of tin with a slot in it behind the bolt head and cut the bolt head off from the face of the panel with a battery powered zip wheel. Few folks would have these tools in their back pocket. Of course, they could get pissed off and damage the panel with a rock.

BTW, engrave an identifiable number on each panel frame, stencil the back side. Make it obvious and highlight with paint. Even low class folks usually realize that stolen property with an ID number is a bad thing to have in one's possession. Odds are they will move on to the next item (or throw a rock at it).

The state of Maine just passed a law that all catalytic converters have to be engraved with the VIN, Maine has yearly inspections so if the VIN is not engraved on it, the inspection station has to do so. Anyone on the scrap side has to have the VIN on every cat, if caught with unmarked cat its presumed stolen. With the exception of driving over the border to NH, it makes them worthless.

Last edited:
The only legal and practical solution is security bolts.
You could also put curled up Razor wire around the top rim and bolt or tack weld it down at multiple points.
At that point only the most determined person would go after them.
I wonder how much razor wire is considered a liability. If someone tries to jump a fence with razor wire and cuts themselves up pretty good am I liable?

I wonder how much razor wire is considered a liability. If someone tries to jump a fence with razor wire and cuts themselves up pretty good am I liable?
Hard to say. Varies by jurisdiction. May depend on jury. No fun.

Hard to say. Varies by jurisdiction. May depend on jury. No fun.
I can't imagine it being an issue if it's on top of the container or up on a fence, the government does it all the time.

Concertina wire is some scary stuff. I know a guy who tried to escape prison back in the 90's by going over the wire with a blanket, he looks like Freddy Krueger now. He said they had to call the rescue squad to cut him out, apparently he almost died from blood loss.

I understand that nothing is 100% secure and if someone really wants what you have they will find a way or at least destroy it trying. I guess I’m just trying to keep
There is no such thing. Having the mount welded to the containter top, and the pannels bolted to the strut is good enough. This isnt a smash and grab operation. meaning If they are going to take the time to climb to the top of the container, they are going to bring whatever they need to cut the pannels off. aka a battery powered grinder with a cut-off-disc. At which point it doesnt matter if takes 5 min or 20 min. Its more than a 30 sec smash and grab job.

Security cam it, have something to give the the police for evidence and your done.

Mark them is such a way you could spot them from Google earth next time it updates ?

I like the electric fence transformer idea. What's some loser going to do complain your wiring sucks and they got a shock wile trying to rip you off? Never even guess it was intentional.

I guess just camouflage them from the bottom make it look like just a regular awning since no one is looking down from the top no one will know they are there and think of stealing in the first place.

Allen key head bolts and drop a ball-bearing coated in vaseline in the hole after tightening.

Back