diy solar

diy solar

Solar panels as roof

mtts

There's a guy, who has an offgrid roof on a hill. Not a building: no walls. Just the roof, pad and supports. Built intentionally so that there is a southern facing side + an less-sloped extension off of that.

Roofer didn't order enough materials, and so the western end of the roof tin simply is not there. The end that's missing roofing, is for shelter from rain, but is not occupied or where the living space is being built, that's the east end.

Can you think of any down/upsides to getting panels, and mounting those directly on the purlins, without first ordering more tin for underneath? And sealing the seams inbetween with Through The Roof (an excellent clear sealant). Essentially treating part of the roof as a solar rack.

Hill is surrounded by trees, some of which will have to be taken-down for there to be better sun on the western end. The contour of the hill and trees, also block severe weather from the panels, and e.g. the area doesn't get hail above the low-iron glass rating of standard residential panels.

I also wondered if that would help with keeping the panels running cooler. He's about 38.75 degrees north of the equator.

What you are describing is basically a solar pergola/carport. The part I'd be most concerned with is the sealant between panels, which would be harder to deal with if a panel needed to be replaced. Then again, I guess you could just cut it. No earthly idea if it would pass code, but I'm betting it wouldn't, if that applies here.

Last edited:
There is small diameter round foam that builders use to fill cracks. Use silicon sealant to skim over that. I bought some used panels which were sealed with silicone. It really stuck and would be a real pain to remove if thick and also cost a bunch.

What you are describing is basically a solar pergola/carport. The part I'd be most concerned with is the sealant between panels, which would be harder to deal with if a panel needed to be replaced. Then again, I guess you could just cut it. No earthly idea if it would pass code, but I'm betting it wouldn't, if that applies here.
There are no Code requirements at that location.

Thanks for your feedback.

Back