diy solar

diy solar

Solaredge SE7600A-USS

Slapnass

Hi, I have a SE7600 storedge inverter I purchased that needs repairs, (purchased as new open box with warranty for a project that took over 180 days to get up and running so no way to test then once hooked up it has a rapid shutdown failure due to a fried storedge portion of the board) seller ITCtech on eBay refuses to do anything Becuse 180 days has elapsed and solaredge is telling me this item that itctech sold me was a warranty return and has a existing RMA number in the system so they refuse to repair. Long story short ITCtech sold me a Used damaged inverter as a new open box so I’m stuck with a $2000 inverter that solaredge is demanding I return to them ffs…I’m looking for a way to eliminate the storedge part of the inverter and just use it as a regular 7600 inverter. Will swapping the digital board achieve this ? Can the firmware be changed ?

I don't know if that can be done, but I also need to test my solaredge 7600 before I install. Am afraid it is a brick

I have since learned you can use your serial number to track the warranty of your inverter, it can help determine if you have a new or used inverter here is the link.

I have since learned you can use your serial number to track the warranty of your inverter, it can help determine if you have a new or used inverter here is the link.
I submitted my serial number, but it was not found. weird.

I submitted my serial number, but it was not found. weird.
I noticed that happens with inverters that have an expired warranty or the serial number is one that is part of an existing warranty claim, I’d contract solaredge through email or live chat from the support page. The damaged inverter sold to me from NTCtech on eBay it’s S/N did not provide info on warranty and from email I found out it has a open RMA number which means someone claimed it under warranty and must return the damaged inverter to Solaredge. I would figure this out before your return window with your seller closes because you will not be able to claim it under warranty from solaredge and your seller will not be obligated to return the item, eBay is 180 days and PayPal is a little longer I believe.

Late to the party but I bought a used Solaredge 3800 (2021 serial number, no storage) on ebay that was claimed to be working but also suffers from 3x9B rapid shutdown test failure on startup. I looked up what this failure is and it's triggered when the measured dc bus voltage is greater than 30V beyond whatever time limit (30s?). Watching the bus voltage during the startup, it looks like it tries twice. It's possible to get this to work by discharging the bus yourself with a discharge resistor. While monitoring the bus voltage at startup, you can see it rise to about 300V and then start to decay in my case slowly. The inverter is expecting this to drop quickly to <30V. When it starts to decay which means the inverter has disabled the optimizers, I touch my 100ohm 25W power resistor to any dc bus terminals (pv input or main power board DC+/DC-. There is so little energy in the dc bulk caps that the voltage drops immediately to the 1V/module level which satisfies the inverter and it will continue with its startup.

This isn't practical to do long term because you'd have to do it every morning when the system tries to come out of night mode. But if you just want to test an inverter you bought off ebay and you get this rapid shutdown test failure, this is a way to force pass that test. I'm considering trying to figure out which components are responsible for discharging the bus and see if I can repair them. I have a 7.6kw solaredge inverter that works properly on the same PV string and I hope to put a thermal camera on it to see which components warm up during the rapid shutdown test but the discharge is so fast that it may not show up. There are a couple of power resistors on the main board that could be responsible for this but they're flush mounted to the board so I'd have to remove the board from the enclosre to measure them to even test this theory. Could also be whatever relay or transitor that engages the discharge.

I bought this 3.8kw inverter off ebay for super short money because it claimed to be working and was never registered on solaredge's monitoring platform unlike the used 7.6kw inverter I have. So I could add it to my monitoring site to get module level telemetry from the 26 used panels I bought with the 7.6kw inverter. I couldn't add the 7.6kw inverter to the monitoring platform no matter how many times I bugged Solaredge about it. The inverter and panels were pulled off a teardown house (former sunrun lease) and sold to me to use for a diy ground mount system. So I can finally get module level telemetry but I have to jump start the inverter to do it.

I just wanted to share the tip about bypassing the rapid shutdown test failure as I couldn't find any info on this when I was searching. Even though it's not a practical long term solution, it's good enough to be able to start the inverter to test the system. Obviously be careful if you're doing this as everything inside the cabinet could be at ~400Vdc so don't attempt if you don't know what you're doing.

Back