diy solar

diy solar

Stand Alone 5A Bluetooth JK BMS Missing B+ Pwr input

BentleyJ

Solar Wizard
This goes in the category of just a comment or maybe useless information, you decide. Couple of years ago I purchased the 2A, 5A & 10A version of the stand alone Bluetooth active balancers from JK BMS. While working on a setting up a new BMS-Balancer combination I pulled out the 5A model and noticed it didn't have a B+ (Pwr) input as the last position on the connector to the left of B24+. I'm sure I used the device previously but don't remember it being such an "Odd Ball".
Was curious so removed the hex head screws, pulled the Silver colored front panel (which includes an On-Off button) then pulled the PCB out. There is a power bus along the front of the board by the connectors starting at cell #6B+ all the way over to cell #24B+. So the electronics on the PCB are powered by whatever cell is the last one in the series array and a separate B+ is not needed. This is convenient but it also means that parasitic power consumption cannot be monitored by connecting B+ to the shunt. Although most shunts are not that sensitive. Its also interesting that the present published specs. for the balancers call for a minimum 40V at the B+ terminal yet this design seems to suggest as little as 18V (6 cells) is sufficient?? I can verify that the standard 2A model does not operate on 24V.
I have no idea if this is an older model or some kind of experimental design that they mistakenly sent out but its quite different than the pics on their website and doesn't have the bottom flange with the 4 mounting holes. Another perfect example of not keeping records or using Revision numbers on products. YIKES!!
No complaints though, its working very nicely at the moment top balancing while the charger is in float.

Back