diy solar

diy solar

Start vs Deep Cycle Lifep04

Google does turn up some results but I'm a bit suspicious of them. Depending on the engine etc you could have to sink 200 amps into a 12v starter to get it to turn the engine over at a reasonable speed. The stuff Google turns up has BMS with limits far below that. A lipo, ion, fepo4 battery can certainly supply the current and wouldn't get upset at a normal start but may not may not appreciate successive long cranking attempts, ie heat problems.

I've seen people posting on some of the marine electronic threads I follow that they are using Lithium for up to 250Hp motors and having no problem turning them over ......The problem people are having is that the voltage regulator is putting out too much voltage in some cases which casues the BMS to disconnect the battery.

Are there lithium batteries designed for starting vs those for deep cycle just like the lead acid batteries.

For about 25% more $$ than their regular LiFePO4, RELiON reports that the RB100-HP can sustain 800A discharge current for 2 seconds.
(I do not work for RELiON.)

A customer of ours runs a battery shop here in San Diego and just outfitted a customer of his with an Antigravity ATX30-HD start battery (970CA starting a Chevy 350 V8). I'm not familiar with the brand yet, but some of the specs look promising... now just to wait and see if they withstand the test of time. I know LFPs have been being used on sport bikes for a few years due to their low weight, but usually don't last very long... Antigravity claims to have solved those problems, but again... I'll withhold judgement until it's lasted a couple of years at least.

Back