diy solar

diy solar

Storing heat in bricks

AntronX

DC Powered
I came across this Rondo Heat Battery storing heat in bricks at 1500C and it got me thinking. One regular brick weights 2.3Kg, has 1000J/Kg/K specific heat capacity (0.278Wh/Kg/K) and costs $0.50 in bulk. Heated to 1500C one brick stores 0.278*2.3*1500=959Wh of heat. $0.5/0.959=$0.52/kWh(t) storage capacity cost. Compare this to $100/kWh(e) storage cost for batteries. Bricks can be assembled into a cube with internal channels to run coiled up nichrome wire to run electric current for heating the brick. Multiple banks of heating wire coils can be step switched to present ideal MPP load to solar panels reducing cost of MPPT controllers since solar panels can directly connect to heating wire without DC-DC converter. With PV cost being so cheap this could be great way to store multiple days of sun energy for house heating during winter. 1 Ton of bricks (434 bricks = $217) would store up to 416 kWh of heat equivalent to 16 gal of propane. Rondo claims 1% heat loss per day. The cost of insulated enclosure and air-air or air-water heat exchangers is extra but should not be expensive to DIY.

rondo-heat-battery.JPG

Last edited:
Or place bricks inside double wall with high temp insulation tuned to pass heat into the house at controlled rate. This removes heat exchangers and makes walls better noise insulated but once the battery is "charged" it cannot be turned off until stored heat dissipates away into the house.

I'm dumb on this one. How do you get the bricks that hot and what do you insulate the area with? Tell me like I'm a 5 year old!

Make a cube of bricks with electric heat strips inside the "core". Heat dissipates from the center of the cube toward outer bricks. Mount the cube on a rack with feet placed on heat insulating material to prevent thermal bridging. Build insulated box around brick cube lined with layer of heat reflective material inside backed by thermal insulation material that can withstand temps that high. Blow air through this enclosure and through heat exchanger to remove heat for use.

Last edited:
Isn't this just a fancy version of what the British use for space heaters now?

I plan on getting one to try it out as a solar power dump to heat my house some.

Yeah in the UK we call those storage heaters and they run on the Economy 7 tariff, well at least they did when I was a kid 40 years ago LOL.
They had a manual damper on the top that you could adjust to regulate the heat output but they invariably were extremely hot in the morning and had no heat left by the end of the day so overall slightly useless.

Yeah in the UK we call those storage heaters and they run on the Economy 7 tariff, well at least they did when I was a kid 40 years ago LOL.
They had a manual damper on the top that you could adjust to regulate the heat output but they invariably were extremely hot in the morning and had no heat left by the end of the day so overall slightly useless.
"slightly"?... that's the understatement of the year.

I have this new carburetor you can put on your car that will let it run on water instead of gas. No really! So while you are re-inventing in-floor radiant heat . . . IMNSHO this is a hair-brained idea.

Even when it works, this stuff always sounds great in theory, but rarely pans out. In practice we generally find out about the hundreds of implementation issues that were not considered in the original model that render the idea much less useful. Every time you move energy from one form/state to another there is loss. You have to look at the practicality of the state shifts. Sometimes ideas like this do make sense for a very narrow set of conditions, but generally it's very hard to predict how your use case is going to change. During the course of the thread, we see the design discussion get increasingly complex as we work around various limitations.

From a solar perspective just throw up a couple of extra panels, and put in a bit more inverter, and run a heat pump for heat. In-floor radiant heat has a proven track record, that would be drastically easier to implement than something esoteric with brick, the density of the material is better and with fluids you can more easily move the heated material where it needs to be. If you had to you could heat that with resistive heat as well.

I used to live on military bases with steam plants, that were used for all kinds of things including heat and running machinery. There is a darn good reason why most of this equipment has been retired. It sucks. Generating energy, then using some dense material to store it as extreme heat, then using the heat to generate steam is an idea that should be forgotten.

There is no way this would be remotely possible. firebrick listed above is rated at 2000f max. Even high duty brick (k26) is rated to 2600f max. Kaowool is also rated for 2200f. 3000f? Only with very expensive zirconium silicate and nitrite bonded silicon carbide is this temp even remotely possible. And to keep this thermal mass contained? Contained in what? Maybe you could hire Superman to hold your bricks. This sounds like some unicorn thing along the lines of perpetual motion. NO. ...TOTAL FANTASY .

Back