diy solar

diy solar

Storing heat in bricks

That 90 GWh number assumes no heat loss into the earth. Wonder what actual heat loss is going to be.

Remains to be seen but I think there is a bit more solid engineering behind that project than dozen half-witted sand batteries on this forum. :ROFLMAO:
You bring a up something that I might (likely was :cool:) have been mistaken on.

From my viewpoint all of the "half witted sand battery threads" tend to be about seasonal heat storage which I think many of us agree is pretty much the things of science fiction in terms of what is possible today.

FWIW: I travelled all over Denmark 20 years ago and at that time they had already been using district heating systems in the smallest of towns using biomass and or wind power for decades. These little towns had towering storage tanks of near boiling water that was being delivered to homes. It was so fascinating to me!!

Some reading material:

"Optimal Seasonal Heat Storage in a District Heating Systemwith Waste Incineration"

That 90 GWh number assumes no heat loss into the earth. Wonder what actual heat loss is going to be.

As far as I remember reading in the past, it had an efficiency of 85% over time. Since it's aimed at seasonal storage, I believe this 85% was over the course of a year, but don't quote me on that.

"One solution is seasonal underground thermal energy storage. This could be done using aquifer thermal energy storage (ATES), where heat is moved between a hot and cold water reservoir. It has been successfully utilized in the Swedish Arlanda airport, where thermal energy storage has been reported to supply 22 GWh/a of cooling and low temperature heat. In a Finnish study, district cooling was generated using heat pumps and waste heat was stored in the hot reservoir of an ATES system. Heat was produced at the cost of 41.5 €/MWh, while the seasonal storage efficiency was 73–83%."

Does this qualify as seasonal renewable energy storage?

1206%20HOFO%20UWOOD.jpg

But is it really? Data please. I'm still comfortable with my original statement. "No one will ever crack the seasonal heat storage challenge."

Can you reference an example of a single economically feasible heat storage system, on any scale, whose data isn't intermixed with other energy sources?
On any scale? Dimplex Quantum storage heaters work for me in my all electric UK home. They're all full of bricks...... using heat accumulated over night and releasing it at specified times throughout the day,

On any scale? Dimplex Quantum storage heaters work for me in my all electric UK home. They're all full of bricks...... using heat accumulated over night and releasing it at specified times throughout the day,
My comment was about seasonal heat storage.

For over 20 years I've used a wood boiler to heat a 1200 (4500 liter) gallon storage tank and radiant infloor heating system. I go three to five days between firings of the wood boiler. It's part of our passive solar house that I designed and built. We need no supplemental heat unless it is cloudy and less then ~20f.

I recently added an 11kW electric boiler to the 1200 gallon tank/ radiant infloor system because I take several hundred dollars of net metering credits into winter. Needed to do something with the them before they get zeroed out. Ironically, I just realized that I'm doing seasonal heat storage, only with dollars, not BTU's.

Last edited:
Back