diy solar

diy solar

sturdy Solar Panels (for vehicles) a person can stand on

Wohl

When i fantasize about the Van i want to build, i have to choose between using the limited roof space either for solar panels or as kind of a deck to sit on, sunbathe, stargaze, sleep outside, etc. I kept thinking about how to use the space; what ratio between empty space to solar panels. I first considered only mounting solar panels to one side so there is enough space to lie down in the sun but apparently i don't have to choose. This is a dream come true, there seem to be solar panels sturdy enough to stand, sit and lie on. Walkable solar panels! I'm glad i found out about this before my build?. It would turn this dead space into a electricity-generating multi-purpose outside living room!

I've searched online for quite a while and only found very little about it. I found this video

which brought me to this company: https://www.tinywattssolar.com/solar-kit-information. They sell these two interesting systems: One Deck to stand on one BOX to stand on that actually extends the storage of the vehicle. A Dream come true! Unfortunately (for me) they are based in the US.

picture 2.JPG

Specs are impressive to me. Have not found any DIY solutions yet but i am hopeful for the future. Maybe someone will come up with a way to sit down regular solar panels into a see-though solution of liquid-plastic (so sunrays can pass though) that makes the regular panels super strong when it hardens.

Anyways just wanted to share this and i'm wondering if anyone has experience with walkable solar panels.

I saw "security" solar panels a long while back, they were designed to by hit by baseball bats or cinder blocks - at the time I thought they'd be good for panels on a boat's deck - last thing you want to do is slip, fall, and get cut by the glass. I suspect you might have the same problem, the tough panels may not break, but if the glass is slippery you could end up taking a tumble off the roof.

I'm also interested in durable, walkable panels. I think the Tiny Watts people have an inside track to a supplier but they hold that info pretty close. They do exist. I think you could probably source through Tiny Watts. I'm in Canada so it makes things a little more difficult.

Coincidentally, i was looking at these earlier on.... dont know how much 'antislip' they would be?

Back