diy solar

diy solar

Sunsynk offgrid system microcycling my LiFePO4 batteries

Snotface

I have recently had an off-grid system installed (by off-grid, i mean i flipped the incoming grid switch to see if my system can handle it).
I have noticed on the Sunsynk Connect app, that during the day, once my batteries are fully charged (100%), that the inverter then switches over to using the battery to power my house until it gets down to 99%, then recharges it back up to 100%. It loops through this behaviour all day while there is sun.
Should i be concerned given i am using LiFePO4 batteries?

That what Growatt inverter does too........difference is, it is cycling between 95% to 100%.
From what I researched online, apparently all Axpert (Voltronic) OEM All-in-One off-grid inverters do the same.
I am very concerned about the battery life span too.

Guys, batteries die from old age too, since the chemistry isn’t stable for the eternity. LiFePo4 batteries have a lifespan of approximately 10 years, OR X thousand cycles, which comes first.

Don’t make sente having a battery and not let it cycle.

Guys, batteries die from old age too, since the chemistry isn’t stable for the eternity. LiFePo4 batteries have a lifespan of approximately 10 years, OR X thousand cycles, which comes first.

Don’t make sente having a battery and not let it cycle.
....I think the inverter relay itself might die from cycling that often first.......how durable is solid state relay used in the inverter again?

This is a brand new install. From my research, Lithium Ferro Phosphate (LiFePO4) batteries are designed for deep-cycling, perfect for solar storage, whereas Lithium-Ion is the opposite and designed for low to mid discharge, UPS type solutions to get you through a short downtime. If my LiFePO4 battery is shallow-cycling up and down 1% all day isn't that going to affect the cycle count and expected life of the battery?

This is a brand new install. From my research, Lithium Ferro Phosphate (LiFePO4) batteries are designed for deep-cycling, perfect for solar storage, whereas Lithium-Ion is the opposite and designed for low to mid discharge, UPS type solutions to get you through a short downtime. If my LiFePO4 battery is shallow-cycling up and down 1% all day isn't that going to affect the cycle count and expected life of the battery?
You have 3.5 to 6 thousand 20-100% cycles in your battery, do the math. You will have 10 to twelve years of battery lifespan, you cycling it once a day or not.

As i stated in my original post, it is doing the 99% - 100% loop multiple times a day, once every 90 minutes or so, discharge to 99% and recharge to 100%, hour after hour. If that doesn't count towards a cycle, then all is good.

Both my Deye 12K (=Sunsynk 12K) microcycles with LFP batteries too. Usually two hours or so, even when there's five hours of sun still available. Did this before using communications with LFP and still doing it with comm enabled. Not worried at all.

Both my Deye 12K (=Sunsynk 12K) microcycles with LFP batteries too. Usually two hours or so, even when there's five hours of sun still available. Did this before using communications with LFP and still doing it with comm enabled. Not worried at all.
Great, thanks.

As i stated in my original post, it is doing the 99% - 100% loop multiple times a day, once every 90 minutes or so, discharge to 99% and recharge to 100%, hour after hour. If that doesn't count towards a cycle, then all is good.
probably trying to balance out the internal cells of your batteries..
If you have sunsynk's own batteries, they come with a passive balancer....

wouldnt worry about it at all

Back