diy solar

diy solar

SunSynk replacement of ME3000SP - Configuring AC side

atti

I installed SunSynk replacing AC side ME3000SP, it is all working fine charging and discharging from/to grid but for some reason it can't store excess solar exported from grid-tied inverter. What is the easiest way to achieve it?

I managed to sort this out by making GEN input as AC side solar input. No wiring, just change in the settings and now I can charge from GEN meaning it is coming from existing solar. Does what I want for the time being.

Setting is quite fiddly and very non-intutive.

I managed to sort this out by making GEN input as AC side solar input. No wiring, just change in the settings and now I can charge from GEN meaning it is coming from existing solar. Does what I want for the time being.

Setting is quite fiddly and very non-intutive.
Did your inverter come with a yellow unmarked Comms lead to connect to your battery? What protocol does your battery use please?

I'm a bit late to this thread but just wondering how the Sunsync GEN input configuration is working?
The attached PDF outlines my current system. 2 sets of panels 4kw and 2.8kw, each with their own string inverter.
Because of the Feed In Tariff arrangements, I can't touch the 4 kw string inverter. (SOFAR 4.6 KTLM).

2 years ago I added batteries and the SOFAR ME3000SP A/C coupled inverter. It works fine, except the AC charge/discharge power is limited to 3kw so in summer I still export shed loads of power and in winter I can no longer fully charge the batteries as I only have 4 hours off peak electricity (Octopus GO tariff). Last year I added the second set of panels and the 3000TL string inverter.

I'd like to replace both the smaller string inverter (SOFAR 3000TL) and the ME3000SP with a Sunsync bi-directional inverter.

SOFAR haven't been helpful regarding the BMS protocol so I'll probably replace the GTX5000 batteries with a couple SEPLOS kits as I need to up the storage capacity.
Am I right to assume that the output from my FIT meter just connects into the Sunsyn GEN input? but could I also connect the smaller solar array straight into the Sunsyn. Would the batteries charge from the panels at the same time as charging from the GEN input

Attachments

• current PV system.pdf
    235.4 KB · Views: 2
It's a bit strange how it works, NO physical connection are made and it's just a straight swap, connections wise, from the Sofar to the Sunsynk, albeit with one less CT clamp. The Sunsynk is then set up using the menus and it takes care of itself. I dont yet have a PV system additional to the existing FIT system but intend to at some point in the future, so I'm unsure of how it would be set up but sure that so long as the Sunsynk is set to not export to the grid (using the CT clamp to recognise export) then the additional PV should just charge the battery and power the house. If it helps, during PV production at the moment my FIT system both charges the battery and provides power to the house at the same time. When the battery is full it then sheds any excess to the grid as used to happen when I had purely a PV system.

Just had chance to look at the PDF. If you remove the Sofar me300sp and the non FIT inverter, just run the non FIT PV into the Sunsynk, would that work? It's similar to what I have, minus the additional PV, though I am hoping to add an additional PV string(s) in the future.

Last edited:
Thanks for you speedy reply. I think this is going to be my next project once I get some additional SEPLOS kits. What my schematic didn't show is that the 100A power cable goes to my son's cabin. This is heated by 4x electric panel heaters so gets expensive to run in winter. A few months ago I installed a separate inverter & battery in the cabin, to charge up off peak. Inverter is set to zero export and as the current sensor is inside the cabin, the house doesn't discharge the cabin battery but when the battery runs out, the cabin can still draw power from the house batteries. Hence the need to upgrade the house inverter. I'll follow your advice and just swop out the inverters. I have opened a support ticket with Sunsync to see if the inverter can charge the battery from the GEN input at the same time as from connected solar panels.

Attachments

• PV system schematic Option 1.pdf
    272.1 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for you speedy reply. I think this is going to be my next project once I get some additional SEPLOS kits. What my schematic didn't show is that the 100A power cable goes to my son's cabin. This is heated by 4x electric panel heaters so gets expensive to run in winter. A few months ago I installed a separate inverter & battery in the cabin, to charge up off peak. Inverter is set to zero export and as the current sensor is inside the cabin, the house doesn't discharge the cabin battery but when the battery runs out, the cabin can still draw power from the house batteries. Hence the need to upgrade the house inverter. I'll follow your advice and just swop out the inverters. I have opened a support ticket with Sunsync to see if the inverter can charge the battery from the GEN input at the same time as from connected solar panels.
Invest in some Dimplex Storage heaters for the cabin, they are so much better than panel radiators and can be 'charged up' overnight as we do. They can also be set to boost if required. There will be a bit more additional wiring, but it's worth considering. They're also not cheap but as they are controllable, unlike the old style, they can make a massive difference. I picked some up from gumtree, marketplace, eBay etc, you just need to constantly look. This time of year some people start to consider having them removed and gas heating installed, so its a good time to start looking .....

Last edited:
Hi,
Great idea but my son is one of these "it has to look good" millennials. I bought a couple of storage heaters last year and he says they are too big and look ugly. Because they are on their own mains circuit I actually connected one of them to an iBoost to charge up with solar.
Classic case of "form over function". He has his own meter and pays part of the electric bill.
Reply from Sunsynk less than helpful, I'll try again.

i should have said, try some Dimplex Quantum Storage Heaters not the old styel heaters. They look a lot better, but are still big and bulky. there are other makes of a similar standard that may meet his aesthetic 'needs' ...

Back