diy solar

diy solar

Temperature control for solar room

vanblokland

I have a separate 7 x 9 ft room that houses my 6 EG4 batteries and two EG4 6500EX inverters. I have two vents on opposite sides of the building to allow for air flow. they can be opened or closed. Heating has not been an issue with the inverters running. When it was 14 degrees outside and the vents were closed, the room stayed at 65+ degrees from the heat generated. I live in Texas and it gets hot in the summers. Looking for suggestions for cooling the space when it gets hot.

Attachments

• 20221004_145107.jpg
    20221004_145107.jpg
    492.5 KB · Views: 11
I would go with a mini-split system. They're super efficient. And could also provide heating for that crazy situation that you would never expect to happen.

I'm in Texas too. I haven't had my system running through a summer yet but I'm already planning on having to do something to address the heat. I don't think it will take much since it's in my garage, which is very well insulated. Not as easy to heat as your 7 x 9 but it doesn't take much. For cooling I'm going to try a small window unit initially. I've got a couple lying around anyway so it's worth a try. My next option is probably to do a mini-split as @timselectric suggested. As he said, more efficient and could do double duty for heat.

7x9 is so small, I think the smallest mini-split will be too bulky and overkill. There are some "mini-split-like" window A/C units (Midea) that are much more efficient than typical.
Good point. It probably is overkill. The only other advantage of the mini-split would be not needing a window, if that's a factor.

I have a separate 7 x 9 ft room that houses my 6 EG4 batteries and two EG4 6500EX inverters. I have two vents on opposite sides of the building to allow for air flow. they can be opened or closed. Heating has not been an issue with the inverters running. When it was 14 degrees outside and the vents were closed, the room stayed at 65+ degrees from the heat generated. I live in Texas and it gets hot in the summers. Looking for suggestions for cooling the space when it gets hot.
I am wondering about just adding a $30 4"-6" 230 cfm exhaust fan just to vent hot air out rather than fully conditioning it? Has anyone done this?

If going green is part of your larger goals, plant a nice shade tree right in front of that room; One that will have full foliage in spring/summer and will lose its leaves in the winter. Any deciduous tree that can do well in your area (Texas) with a canopy of about 15 feet, but not so large that it blocks your solar panels, should be sufficient. And then add a small ventilation fan to move the air.

I am wondering about just adding a $30 4"-6" 230 cfm exhaust fan just to vent hot air out rather than fully conditioning it? Has anyone done this?
That probably works well in CO. Not so much in Texas. Years ago I even tried one of the swamp coolers thinking maybe it would help a little regardless of the humidity. It moved the air around some but it's hard to offset 100+ degree heat without AC.

That probably works well in CO. Not so much in Texas. Years ago I even tried one of the swamp coolers thinking maybe it would help a little regardless of the humidity. It moved the air around some but it's hard to offset 100+ degree heat without AC.
True... being at 6,850" we rarely see it over 90⁰... very low humidity. My container has partial shade on 2 sides.

I initially wanted to go smaller but was concerned on enough CFM. So I decided to go with this 12" one with more CFM & a speed controller for $70 & put it on one of the shady sides.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07SG8PJMC?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

Back