diy solar

diy solar

Tesla batteries

I bought a Victron Battery Protect to use with my Tesla setup, and it's throwing the error code E-4 (overvoltage). But the battery is not overvoltage, and I have the battery protect connected only to the battery. I spoke with Victron and the amazon seller and they're adamant that their bp should not be used with Tesla module, nor with an inverter. It should be connected only straight to the load. Has anyone else run into this? Would it be alright to not use the battery protect, since the inverter has a low voltage shut off?
It depends where you use the BP. It can not be used between the battery and any charger like the Multiplus 24/3000 inverter charger. The flow of power can only go from battery to load, not reverse or you will weld the mosfets and the BP will no longer function as a switch and even catch on fire. You can read all about this on Victron support forum.
The BP is only to protect an under voltage with any battery chemistry at the VDC bus bar. It also can be used as a remote switch with the Victron MPPT as long as you connect the MPPT out put as battery and the load terminal to the battery charge. Of course the MPPT should be fused on the PV input and charge output.

Is there no inverter that can be matched for the unique properties of the Tesla modules?

Greetings!

Seeking a 48V inverter to pair with Tesla modules directly.
MPP Solar LV5048 ? Suggestions?

It is understandable why one would backpedal from encouraging a build which requires precise settings with so much room for error.
But, is the Tesla module not the most ⚡⚡⚡ for your ??? ?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Here's the build for my system where I used a whole battery pack.

Here's the build for my system where I used a whole battery pack.

Holy cow! That is crazy awesome!

Hi Will,

My Class C RV solar installation is in-progress. I have been following in Geriakt's footsteps, but using all Victron equipment (MultiPlus 24/3000/70, Smart MPPT 150/45, Orion 24/12-70, and a Orion 12/24-15 DC-DC for charging from chassis) and 800 watts of rigid solar all installed and ready for intended 2 x 24V Tesla S. batteries. Currently have 2 x 12V 62Ah FLA battery that came with the rig. I have an electronic engineering degree and experience, (but not in solar power) and understand the tech aspects of your (mildly) anti-Tesla reasoning. However there are. two major advantages:

1. Cost - Battleborn, etc. are about $.75/Wh, "kit"-style LiFePO4 storage is about $.50/Wh, and a Tesla 18650 pack is about $.25/Wh. My physical design goal is to run the RV air conditioner at night, thus need about 10kWh. Tesla battery cost will be about $2400, and scale upwards (x2 or x3) for the other battery cost groups.

2. Density - Geriakt has basically the same RV model as mine. His decision to mount the two ~3x12x26" inch Tesla batteries in the pre-existing RV battery box (7.5x13x27") keeps from using up any additional valuable storage space.

Geriakt is using an ElectroDacus SBMS0 for each battery. Do you have any comments about this BMS or consider any others for Tesla installations?

Any LiFePO4 installation requires due care for weather and temperature control. Of course warranty and replacement availability are also considerations.

Other than name brand batteries, what would you suggest?

Back