diy solar

diy solar

The Future! Walking on Panels - Utility Killer

Interesting.
The thing that crossed my mind while he was talking about the future – and I’m not talking about being a super Greenie either – is what if new homes were designed to never connect to the grid? Did he say that was only $10,000?
Considering all of the other expenses that go into preparing for grid and electricians and entrances it makes me wonder is it really that much more expensive to be off grid regardless of suburban city or out in the country.

I’ve been off grid for like four years now. Yeah, I have a back up generator but with my relatively small system that is larger now, I really don’t see too much of a sacrifice or inconvenience. Is grid cheaper by the kilowatt hour? Well, yes, if that’s all you’re looking at. But with some other advantages of being completely off grid, is it really an expense that cost you anything other than maybe some small real dollars when you think about the cost of constructing a new home?

Granted, Bahamas have plenty of sun. That’s a factor. A follow up thought is one I have often: when I look at what people do with 10,000,000 gigawatts of panels and enough batteries to support an aircraft carrier and they do that because they ‘need’ to run 9.6 60” TVs and enough refrigerators and freezers to support a sandwich shop while having icicles gangling from the microwave after they take a 45-minute 106*F shower I wonder why people can’t get along with less? Energy efficiency is one thing, but pampered consumerism seems frequently to eat up an awful lot of a solar budget. Mental/emotional conditioning and ‘soft’ post-modern people are a lot of the cost of living today.

Just my thoughts before merry Christmas

Last edited:
Yeah, I have a back up generator
This is why off grid is objectionable on societal grounds in urban and suburban areas. You can't have that many people firing up backup generators together in a dense area every time they fall short in winter or you're going to get air quality problems.

Seems like a lot of roof space was left uncovered. I suppose leaves room for expansion when needed.
Not sure how walking on the panels relates to hurricane resistance.

Isn't this how micro cracks happen from flexing what is basically a very flat and fragile glass waffer(silica cells)? Then the snail trails form?

This is why off grid is objectionable on societal grounds in urban and suburban areas. You can't have that many people firing up backup generators together in a dense area every time they fall short in winter or you're going to get air quality problems.
That's an overriding concern and we already legally accept running generators in any area under those circumstance.
I don’t think I’ve used it enough for backup to put $30 of gas through it; I have it cuz it makes sense, logically. Winters are tough in Vermont.
I ran it two hours a week ago the day before the most recent flooding for security. Probably didn’t need to.
I’ve had enough sun since then that I’m barely ‘down’ after two cloudy days.
I’m not saying one should plan on using a generator regularly.

Back