diy solar

diy solar

The Tesla issue - Inverters willing to get down and dirty (voltages of course)

GotBoom!

Hey,

I love my Tesla based system, BUT, the batteries have a nominal voltage of 21.6V (full charge at 24.6V). I am using a Giandel 24V 3000W inverter for my RV. The issue is the Giandel starts audibly barking at 19.5V and shutsdown at 19V. I need an inverter willing to go low to capture more of the Tesla's capacity.

Of course, it might be easier to add more tesla modules

Hey,

I love my Tesla based system, BUT, the batteries have a nominal voltage of 21.6V (full charge at 24.6V). I am using a Giandel 24V 3000W inverter for my RV. The issue is the Giandel starts audibly barking at 19.5V and shutsdown at 19V. I need an inverter willing to go low to capture more of the Tesla's capacity.

Of course, it might be easier to add more tesla modules
I think the Tesla banks fully charge to 25.2v max... it’s an odd parameter and difficult to work around with most inverters.
Having a 19v shutdown isn’t bad. Since you are a full volt above the 18v minimum, your bank will last longer... I’d alter your CC to fill the bank slightly more... get closer to the 25.2... maybe 25.0 and see how it lasts.

What's your budget? If you're due for a new inverter there's a few that support Tesla modules out of the box (sigineer) there's also others that can be configured for your own high/low points (magnum for example).

Or like someone mentioned just add another module in parallel which will increase your capacity and since you're not nearing the bottom of the modules they'll last you longer.

I'm using this one with tesla battery which goes down to 15 Volt. it's 3000W, been using it for 4 month now, but don't think it's truely 3000W. Voltage range is 15-24V DC

I'm using this one with tesla battery which goes down to 15 Volt. it's 3000W, been using it for 4 month now, but don't think it's truely 3000W. Voltage range is 15-24V DC

That range will over discharge a Tesla module as it's only supposed to go down to 18v (18/6=3v per cell) and it'll also leave some capacity unused since the max on the module is 25.2 (25.2/6=4.2v per cell).

The top end isn't as big of a deal, the over discharge however will destroy the module after a while.

I have the 12kW version of these and they work pretty well.

6KW of the Sigineer, but haven't put it into service yet. How are you protecting the Tesla battery's in case it screws up?

6KW of the Sigineer, but haven't put it into service yet. How are you protecting the Tesla battery's in case it screws up?

I have a controller that communicates with the OEM BMB boards in the modules to get cell voltage/temp readings, the controller has contactors to disconnect the pack in case of over/under voltage, it also tells the BMB boards to balance using the built in resistor bleeders. Finally I also have a controller attached to the sigineer that lets me shut off the built in charger.

I use outback radian at. 37-48v on 14 modules and have for years

Yea any inverter charger that lets you set the top/bottom voltages will work (Outback, magnum, Schneider, SolArk). How are you keeping the cells balanced?

I have a controller that communicates with the OEM BMB boards in the modules to get cell voltage/temp readings, the controller has contactors to disconnect the pack in case of over/under voltage, it also tells the BMB boards to balance using the built in resistor bleeders. Finally I also have a controller attached to the sigineer that lets me shut off the built in charger.

Yea any inverter charger that lets you set the top/bottom voltages will work (Outback, magnum, Schneider, SolArk). How are you keeping the cells balanced?

I use the simp bms from tom debree
I had no bms until a few months ago never had any unbalance at all but i understand the necessity of it and finally got it on.

I use the simp bms from tom debree
I had no bms until a few months ago never had any unbalance at all but i understand the necessity of it and finally got it on.

What are you using for battery disconnect with the simp bms and did you order his premade circuit board? How has the tech support been on this?

I have contactors
Tom responded almost right away every time ive contacted him hes on diy electric car fourm
It all came ready to go and i got the screen also i think it was $500. Cant remember exactly
Its not even hooked up to the contactors yet just the modules. I had no bms for so long ive gotten comfortable lol

I have the sigineer 6000k 24v and the lowest I can do on my Tesla batteries is 19.5 and that is on setting 9. I think sigineer lied.

May I ask what is the lowest you can get your Tesla modules with this inverter? I get to 19.5 before alarm goes off and 19 for cut off. Thanks.

Back