diy solar

diy solar

These BMS a good option for DIY battery build?

doox00

I am building some 16 cel battery packs and need a bms for them, are these a good option? I will be using Schneider inverters.

Last edited:
All I run is JBD. Have 3 of them going currently.
That's a good price.
I was ordering mine from Docan then JBD on Ali but it looks like Ali jacked the shipping to be ridiculous (I knew I should have ordered more when they were $99 with free shipping).
$98.44 30%OFF | JBD High Power Smart BMS 7S 8S 10S 12S 13S 14S 17S 18S 20S 21S Built-in BT 200A Balance 24V-72V Liithium Battery

Some communicate (over Bluetooth)with the Overkill app they all work with the xiaoxang app. They all communicate with solar assistant using the USB adapter and also communicate with the PC using JBD tools.

Edit - I actually have 5 going, 3 16s and 2 4s.

I am building some 16 cel battery packs and need a bms for them, are these a good option? I will be using Schneider inverters.

One option is to have your hybrid inverter/charger handle low and high voltage cutoffs, and then you just need to activate balance the cells.

Charge to max 54v or less rather than 58v, makes your battery last longer like they do in electric cars. Do similar on low end of voltage, don't drain them completely.

Biggest risk to a BMS is not being able to handle short surges, like induction motor starting, and you also lose a bit of efficiency with extra relays needed by BMS to turn off power if over or undercharged.

One option is to have your hybrid inverter/charger handle low and high voltage cutoffs, and then you just need to activate balance the cells.

Charge to max 54v or less rather than 58v, makes your battery last longer like they do in electric cars. Do similar on low end of voltage, don't drain them completely.

Biggest risk to a BMS is not being able to handle short surges, like induction motor starting, and you also lose a bit of efficiency with extra relays needed by BMS to turn off power if over or undercharged.
so are you saying if you program the inverter/charge controller to your battery bank specs then there is no need for a bms?

This is a bad idea.
The BMS is a safety device incase something goes wrong. In a perfect world, the inverter and charger should keep the cells in a safe range. But this is certainly not a perfect world. Crap happens. If you end up with a cell that is running away high, a balancer may not be able to stop it before it is fried. The total voltage could still be "safe" so the charge controller keeps charging. It is a time like that where the BMS can step in and disable charge current to stop a bad situation.

Back