diy solar

diy solar

Three systems up and running on the truly off grid homestead.

If I have anything to say as the originating poster it would be, "at ease, please feel free to speak easy and share any knowledge, thoughts and experiences you have on any topic you choose". Thank you for sharing some of your ingenuity in the areas of metallurgy and canning and of course solar power!

[WOW!QUOTE="JeepHammer, post: 24580, member: 2226"]
I'm no Tesla! (No surprise there...)

Since you are the OP, and we are a little off subject and that seems OK with you...

Tesla was the first I know about to use electro-magnetic induction that I know about.
He notices (observation) rapidly switching polarity of AC current, noticing electrically conductive metals heated up in proximity to, but not touching the line feeds.

His theory was correct, it was the magnetic field that spun one direction then the other direction, that the eddy currents created friction in the molecules of the metals in proximity to those eddy currents.
The faster you switch polarity, the faster things heated.

He applied this to silver soldering, a form of brazing metals using pure silver filler, to make connections that live to this day.

I had some interest after seeing tungsten saw teeth being brass & silver brazed on a steel saw blade,
And switched some of my heat treating of brass over to electro-magnetic induction.
First Tesla for his take on things, the a PhD that does induction bonding for the aerospace industry and other corporations since he was the name that kept popping up when I was looking for base research.

Heat treating copper alloy, there is only one way to know exactly what the results are...
Micrograph inspection. Cross sectional density testing (Hardness, Rockwell or Vickers) will tell you that, but actually seeing if the induction heating was correct is to see if the grain structure is the correct size, and the bonds are without slivers/dust...

Micrograph, the 'Holes' are 'Hardness' test punches...

View attachment 3797

View attachment 3798

Now, thing I do (because I can, the equipment is here) is make and recondition firearms brass.
With proper heat treating, even used (fired) brass comes back to brand new specifications.
It's not done like the 'Average' home reloader does it, but once you understand what MOVES (physics) and how to get it back where it belongs, and properly heat treated, you honestly can't tell it from brand new.

Left is case qualifier, rejects cases that are too far out of specification to be reconstituted/reconditioned.
Center is a die plate roller that restores rim, groove, takes lower case bloating out.
Right, top down sizing dies that home reloaders commonly used, but can't reach the lower case swelling or restore rim/groove damage.

View attachment 3799

And since my gear is mobile, and has access to solar power in the trailer, this BUSINESS is solar powered and mobile, I go to gun clubs and recondition their brass, about a dime everytime the machine goes 'clunk'.
Blue box is batteries, yellow and black is inverter.

View attachment 3800

Then there is heat treating...
Only a few reloaders anneal ('Stress Relieve'/soften), none do proper heat treating I know about.
I do proper heat treating. The equipment doesn't exist, I had to build my own,
From little induction units...

View attachment 3801

To adapting consumer available units to proper heat treating/reconstitution,View attachment 3803

To building my own 3,000/Hr controller/induction unit...

View attachment 3805

View attachment 3806

I built the scroll punch press from a 1903 brass button making machine, I had a contract for closed tubes (temp sensors), so when that was done, I made dies to crank out cartridge cases & bullet jackets...
Cases get heat treated, mostly electro-magnetic induction, 3 times minimum.
A QC strip from the press that shows progression through the dies...

View attachment 3809

View attachment 3810

I made an electro-magnetic induction unit to power my home canning, both actual metal cans and glass jars.
I make Watts, the sun is free, and I don't have to buy propane or cut wood.
The pressure vessel (called a Retort) has to get the PRODUCT up to 230°F, that means the interior of the retort has to reach about 250°F,
And to keep the liquid in the cans/jars from flashing to steam and blowing out the cans/jars, I need about 15 psig above atmospheric.
Pressure & heat required...

I stepped into the 21st century with induction heat and I use a time/data logger IN the product to ensure the contents reached 230°F the center can/jar gets the data logger so I know every can/jar reached full temp.

When someone tells me I don't know what I'm talking about, I'm an idiot, the old ways don't have any meaning...
Well... OK then...
I wasn't aware what worked for 100 years (or 1,000 years) suddenly stopped working because something 'Digital' came along, but they are allowed to believe anything they want to...

I hang a cheap drill motor on an old hand cranked canner, grinder, mill, other tool and the sun does the work,
I guess I'm screwed when the sun stops shining, but coffee, sugar, salt & junk food is all we buy from the store,
We trade garden produce or pasture rental for meat,
And the 'Organic' folks pay premium prices for what comes out of the ground (solar powered!) food!

My wife makes soap out of stinkweeds (lavender) and wood ash, it sells for $35 a bar with a 1¢ ribbon tied around it...

OK, the old ways (with a little update) don't work, GOT IT!
I never have to worry about THEM being market share competition! ;)

I wonder if their wives buy 'Designer Dried Floral Arrangements' (river bottom weeds with a wire and ribbon tied around them) for $75 to $350...?
[/QUOTE]

I came out of the Marines in a wheel chair & broke.
I got some tools and started fixing cars in the VA parking lot.
People don't make sense to me, gears & wires do.
I'll try anything, I know a 1,000 ways NOT to do things, I know one or two that do work...
It's not a 'Failure' until I give up.

NO ONE will hire a wheel chair vet, and disability is enough for a roach motel room and cat food...
Besides, I wasn't ready to sit around and wait to die.
My disability wasn't brain damage, I was brain damaged before I joined the Marines. ;)

My voltage regulators for home built battery chargers, started as plans in a Radio Shack manual, or modified vehicle voltage regulator.
We call them 'Charge Controllers' now and I have the money to buy what I need.

I'll tell someone what worked for me, not what they *Should* do, I'm not Tesla or Steven Hawking,
I'm an 'Advanced Class' DIY monkey that makes a living in a niche market.
Make the homestead pay, make the businesses pay, make an honest buck, pay your employees what they are ACTUALLY worth instead of peanuts, help others when you can...
If it goes broke, you found another way that didn't work, try again with something else.

Oh I know me some Marines, close family members are, I even dated a female one for awhile. Like me, you have to get er done even if all you have is broken, discarded hand me down stuff to work with. Semper Fi.

Use what you have,
Improvise, adapt, overcome.
What's IN your head is worth a lot more than what's on the internet,
Education & experience goes with you everywhere, weighs nothing, costs you nothing to maintain, and no one can take it away from you.

Anything you build will eventually turn to dust, information/education you pass on lives forever.

Folks get a LOT more done when they throw down the ego and pick up a shovel...
The guy not making any mistakes isn't doing anything.
The guy with the 'wrong' size wire, the 'wrong' terminal, the 'wrong' insulation is DOING SOMETHING and learning!

The Doer is worth more than EVERY 'Internet Engineer' combined!

I've never had an original thought in my life, everything I do is something I've seen.
Sometimes I repurpose, tweak, but I've not had one big 'Holy Crap!' idea ever.
I stand on the shoulders of Giants, even if I don't know their names, they live forever as long as their ideas exist, and an idea never dies...

Back