diy solar

diy solar

TIGO DC Optimizers with EG4 Hybrid Mini-Split

Sundog33

Sun Bather
I am getting ready to move my test rack up to permanent roof mounting and came across these TIGO DC Optimizers.

I'll be using 4 - 305w Hyundia Panels. With the Optimizers and Cloud Connect device it will be about $500.
Pretty pricey considering I only spent $107 bucks a piece for these panels at Signature Solar.

Does anyone have any experience with these DC Optimizers with a mini-split MPPT?
And if so, is the additional power worth it?

Attachments

• AC UNIT INSTALL.jpg
    AC UNIT INSTALL.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • SOALR PANEL TESTING.jpg
    SOALR PANEL TESTING.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
I am getting ready to move my test rack up to permanent roof mounting and came across these TIGO DC Optimizers.

I'll be using 4 - 305w Hyundia Panels. With the Optimizers and Cloud Connect device it will be about $500.
Pretty pricey considering I only spent $107 bucks a piece for these panels at Signature Solar.

Does anyone have any experience with these DC Optimizers with a mini-split MPPT?
And if so, is the additional power worth it?
If the panels are good...you shouldn't need optimizers. If you are installing panels in a shade prone area...you may need to oversize your array.

If the panels are good...you shouldn't need optimizers. If you are installing panels in a shade prone area...you may need to oversize your array.
The thing is...

I would love to keep my setup on the ground to be able to clean and monitor it, but its just not practical.
The Optimizers allow the individual panels to be monitored, say if a bird takes a big crap on one.

Also, it includes the Rapid shutdown feature. Which may become a requirement in the future for all systems.
When some Township guy rides by and decides to check if I ever got a permit... maybe this is good insurance.

also, oversizing does nothing. Thats just more panels that are limited by one shaded panel. from my understanding.

but ya if you have more panels, more half panel power

I guess this is new technology. Why wouldnt these optimizers be built right into the panels. Seems like a good thing to me?
but is it too new to mess with?

Not very new technology. They've been around for a while.
The cost is why they are only used when absolutely necessary. (Heavy shading)

and awareness. Micro-inverters are talked about everywhere. DC ones... not so much.

A lot cheaper than micro-inverters too
Micro inverters are a standard for grid-tied systems.
DC optimizers are not inverters. Which explains the cost difference.
DC optimizers help a panel perform in bad conditions.
But they can't make them over perform in good conditions.

well, were all guys here.
No disrespect but, It seems on this forum if its not something the responder personally has in his own system then its crap. lol

I'm just asking if anyone has any experience with Optimizers and if so how much does it help a panel perform in bad conditions.

Like I say the Monitoring and Rapid Shutdown are definite advantages to owning these units just alone.
Dont be a Hater Tim. : )

No disrespect but, It seems on this forum if its not something the responder personally has in his own system then its crap. lol
I never said that they were crap.
I only responded to your posts.

I guess this is new technology.
It's not
Why wouldnt these optimizers be built right into the panels.
Cost vs benefit
and awareness. Micro-inverters are talked about everywhere. DC ones... not so much.

A lot cheaper than micro-inverters too
Apples to oranges
Like I say the Monitoring and Rapid Shutdown are definite advantages to owning these units just alone.
Definitely benefits to be considered.
It wasn't intended to be taken personally.

I'm just asking if anyone has any experience with Optimizers and if so how much does it help a panel perform in bad conditions.

Free monitoring privides one data point once every 15 minutes.

Paid monitoring is 1 minute intervals.

I have them on a new Sol-Ark installation. Today was a good sun day, but this time of the year I have a lot of tree shading. The TIGO monitoring reports total production and reclaimed energy. Today production was 14.81 KWH with 3.97 KWH of that being reclaimed energy. I'm not saying this is accurate, just reporting what I see. I assume reclaimed energy is what you would lose without the optimizers.

I have them on a new Sol-Ark installation. Today was a good sun day, but this time of the year I have a lot of tree shading. The TIGO monitoring reports total production and reclaimed energy. Today production was 14.81 KWH with 3.97 KWH of that being reclaimed energy. I'm not saying this is accurate, just reporting what I see. I assume reclaimed energy is what you would lose without the optimizers.
how is the GUI? Does it work on an IPAD or is it a computer thaing?

* The reclaimed assumes that no diodes would have been bypassed.

Example 10 panels single string...if one panel was putting on 10 watts and the rest 400 watts. Obviously the diodes in that 10 watt panel would have been activated (bypassing the shaded panel).

So in this scenario the optimizers really
only recovered 10 watts. But the tigo software claims a recovery of 390 watts x 9 panels, for a total recovery of 3,500 watts.

Android and Website. Both work.
So. I see in your signature you do have them. but you advised to not worry about it at first. You dont think it was worth it?

I guess for just 4 panels its overkill, but im a sucker for a GUI. I only have room for 5 panels total on the sunny side of the house
so I need to make the most of them. Optimal sun is the short side of my roof.

Last edited:
* The reclaimed assumes that no diodes would have been bypassed.

Example 10 panels single string...if one panel was putting on 10 watts and the rest 400 watts. Obviously the diodes in that 10 watt panel would have been activated (bypassing the shaded panel).

So in this scenario the optimizers really
only recovered 10 watts. But the tigo software claims a recovery of 390 watts x 9 panels, for a total recovery of 3,500 watts.
I reread this. So ya. Your saying Tigo exaggerates. I can believe it.

Back