diy solar

diy solar

Torquing?

Guda

Superstrut Strut
Howdy howdy!
I see my inverter wants the screws torqued. $200-$350+ tool!?!?!
I think terminals want to be set with a torque wrench also.
What tools yall use for torquing?

You could use German Engineering torque settings: Gutentight

Or, you could check with your local auto parts store to see if they loan out torque wrenches.

Most of these torque settings are very small. Some are in inch-lbs, which most auto parts store torque wrenches can't do. So be careful.

I have a Snap-On digital inch-lb torque wrench that I use for all the small fittings. It works great and I KNOW it's right. I bought mine used and had it recalibrated.

TECH2R100.jpg

The challenge with the "click" type torque wrenches is that at the lower settings it can be really hard to hear the click. That's how my 1/2" torque wrench is. The 1/4" digital wrench I posted about above has both a beeper and it vibrates.

lol

I keep getting taken to the torx drivers.... So, it is a expensive tool(s). Like 1/2 as much as my inverter

I keep getting taken to the torx drivers.... So, it is a expensive tool(s). Like 1/2 as much as my inverter

Like inverters, it all depends on how much you want to spend. The more you spend, the more accurate the torque wrench. But do you really need accuracy to 1 decimal place? No. The Snap-On wrench I have is accurate to 2% on the clockwise direction and 3% counter clockwise.

Wow.....I have put in about 6 different inverters and never torqued any of them...never had a problem with them either.

Oh I see what yall using now... Duh... So a regular torque wrench just add a driver bit.... No need for fancy driver torquers as long as its goes low enough. Just need the correct bit.

I think the problem for a lot of people who aren't mechanically inclined is they have no concept of torque so they wind up tightening a 1/4" nut with a 1 foot long wrench.
Of course it will either strip the threads or break. Other that crtical engine parts(head bolts, rod ends) I tend to torque by feel but not everyone can do that.

I think the problem for a lot of people who aren't mechanically inclined is they have no concept of torque so they wind up tightening a 1/4" nut with a 1 foot long wrench.
Of course it will either strip the threads or break. Other that crtical engine parts(head bolts, rod ends) I tend to torque by feel but not everyone can do that.
I've never used a torque wrench. I haven't messed up anything, but I want the level of quality that comes with knowing things are spot on on this build. I need a torque wrench that goes down to the .0. Its funny someone linked one from HD that is 3.7-16lbs... I need 1.2-1.6nm... LOL. Bye bye $200+. Hello fancy tool I'll only use 1/2 dozen times..

I've never used a torque wrench. I haven't messed up anything, but I want the level of quality that comes with knowing things are spot on on this build. I need a torque wrench that goes down to the .0. Its funny someone linked one from HD that is 3.7-16lbs... I need 1.2-1.6nm... LOL. Bye bye $200+. Hello fancy tool I'll only use 1/2 dozen times..

That's very little torque you're looking for. Here's the range of mine.
Range, in-lb 24–240
Range, N•m 2.71–27.12

Get a 1/4" drive lb. in. torque wrench or do it by feel.
I think I need 2. I need the driver for the inverter connections & I'll need a 1/4' for terminals
That's very little torque you're looking for.
This is what I get for reading the owners manual! I totally would have gone by feel. Not now tho, I'll literately almost kill myself if I bugger it :p

Back