diy solar

diy solar

Transfer switch recommendations

Prefersdirt

Solar Enthusiast
TLDR - what do I tell the electrician to use to setup grid as backup and my solar as primary?

So I am finally far enough on my list to get an electrician to hook the solar system up to the house. Biggest issue is getting the grid setup as a backup system. What I wanted to do was install a new 100A box (100A is what the grid provides) and put a switch of some sort between the new box and the original. That way if we ever move, we can yank the solar system and everything still works.

I have 2 EG4 AIO units and will have a chargeverter to the batteries. If the new box has outlets for EITHER the AIOs to plug into, or the chargerverter can plug into, then the grid can recharge everything should that be necessary.

The electricians were not happy with this setup. They say that they can't run the grid into a new box that is smaller than the original box (limit it to 100A via breakers). They are talking transfer switch - I wanted an either or breaker setup. Where there is the metal piece (can't recall name) that has one or the other breaker on - that eliminates risk of backfeed to the grid.

They are used to solar being the backup - but I don't want limited number of things on solar. This is big enough for the house and barn without issue.

What can I show the electricians that will do this simply?

Attached is a diagram of what my mind is thinking:

Thank you!

1702044990174.png

They say that they can't run the grid into a new box that is smaller than the original box (limit it to 100A via breakers).
Kinda True
They are talking transfer switch
Best option for what you want to achieve.
I wanted an either or breaker setup. Where there is the metal piece (can't recall name) that has one or the other breaker on
Breaker interlock kit.
It can be done this way. But would take two or three combined interlocks to accomplish everything that you want.

Scenario #1 feed panel from grid.
Main breaker on.
Breaker feeding AIO's AC input on.
Breaker feeding Chargeverter on.
Breaker feeding panel from AIO's off.

Scenario #2 feed panel from AIO's.
Main breaker off.
Breaker feeding AIO's AC input off.
Breaker feeding Chargeverter off.
Breaker feeding panel from AIO's on.

Second panel and transfer switch is the simplest solution.

Back