diy solar

diy solar

turning off the charger - RV

jvbutter01

As I have been reading posts, the LifePo batteries do not want to be, "trickle charged" or don't want to float the batteries for long term. If I have a RV, battery bank (280ah) on board, with a charger (PD9130LV ) connected on shore power side. What is the easiest way to keep the charger from constantly floating the batteries when we are in RV park and 100% connected to shore power? Is there a smart switch? I don't want to open the elect box and unplug the charger each time. The shore power will be connected to the 110 side of my power box.

As I have been reading posts, the LifePo batteries do not want to be, "trickle charged" or don't want to float the batteries for long term. If I have a RV, battery bank (280ah) on board, with a charger (PD9130LV ) connected on shore power side. What is the easiest way to keep the charger from constantly floating the batteries when we are in RV park and 100% connected to shore power? Is there a smart switch? I don't want to open the elect box and unplug the charger each time. The shore power will be connected to the 110 side of my power box.
LFP batteries are happy to sit for extended periods at 100% or near to it. Useing a seperate port BMS it will disconnect the charge side of the battery while allowing it to be discharged if needed.

schmism, i will have to look into the "separate port bms" you speak of. haven't heard of that type.

Ok, thanks snoobler. I read about that, but here on forum, i've read against constant trickle charge, Yes Snobbler, it is specific LifePo type charger. I'm pulling the standard charger out of the trailer just for this reason. this makes things easier.

schmism, i will have to look into the "separate port bms" you speak of. haven't heard of that type.

Ok, thanks snoobler. I read about that, but here on forum, i've read against constant trickle charge, Yes Snobbler, it is specific LifePo type charger. I'm pulling the standard charger out of the trailer just for this reason. this makes things easier.

The forum's position has been very consistent that floating between 3.30 and 3.40V/cell is safe.

Hello,
maybe I'm not in the right spot here but..

My question is,, my 5th wheel came with a 120v to 12v supply and charger...its working fine..
BUT I want to change out the stock FLA with LifePo.. the stock charger only knows one chemistry FLA
there is no way that I know of to disable just the charge function...is there ?

You have a Lithium specific model of that charger. You shouldn't have to worry about it.

After charging, it floats at 13.6V. If there is no battery use, it drops to 13.2V.

LFP batteries may be floated indefinitely at 3.4V or less. That's 13.6V with 4 cells.
I've heard 13.4 or 3.35 per cell is optimal but still slightly decreases lifespan.

If the trailer were in "storage"...yea that would work..
I full time...if I did turn it off I would also lose basic functions...
Refrig, lights,smoke detectors,propane sniffer,fans...etc..

Hey Will .....

Is there a Dc to DC converter device that will convert the FLA charge to Lifepo ?
or even a replacement for the stock supply/converter that IS compatable ?

Hello,
maybe I'm not in the right spot here but..

My question is,, my 5th wheel came with a 120v to 12v supply and charger...its working fine..
BUT I want to change out the stock FLA with LifePo.. the stock charger only knows one chemistry FLA
there is no way that I know of to disable just the charge function...is there ?
I assume you mean a converter, confirm?
What is the make and model of the converter?

If the trailer were in "storage"...yea that would work..
I full time...if I did turn it off I would also lose basic functions...
Refrig, lights,smoke detectors,propane sniffer,fans...etc..
Well, sort of. Those items run off of your battery not off the converter directly. Then the converter keeps your battery charged.
so you could turn it off for a learned period of time and then turn it back on. Of course that means you have to remember to do so.

I realized that when I added LiFePo4 batteries and an inverter/charger, that two things happened. 1. If I left the converter in, it would be trying to run off the AC produced by the inverter. This would be the battery running the inverter to run the converter to charge the battery. Dumb.
2. the snazzy new inverter/charger is way smarter than the converter.
I just wish that I realize that before I spent $$$ on the Li compatible converter

I did see this...whatever it means...
WF-9800 Series converters are equipped with an advanced 3-stage charger

I did see this...whatever it means...
WF-9800 Series converters are equipped with an advanced 3-stage charger
Page 6 of this manual explains the charging algorithm.
also

Its not terrible.
But you could do better.
As @richard cabesa alludes an inverter/charger with built in transfer switch is the way to go.
A good inverter charger will allow you fine grained control of the charge profile.
You also generally get a configurable low voltage disconnect plus lots of other goodies.
IMO an updated ac2dc converter is a waste of money.
I'm guessing you already purchased a dedicated inverter, confirm?

Back