diy solar

diy solar

TV goes off when furnace comes on?

ptc53

I converted to a EG4 12V 400AH battery (w/520W Solar) last summer. I changed over the setting on my solar charge controller and trailer converter-charger to lithium battery setting and I added a Victron Smart Shunt. The battery is mounted in the front crossover area in the trailer and I ran the battery cables (2/0) to the junction box under the trailer (Outdoor RV 24RKS 2022) to bus bars for distribution. All of the cables/wires that had been connected to the old lead acid batteries were moved to the bus bars.
The battery charges to +14.63V using the panels according to the Smart Shunt. When the Smart Shunt says the battery is at 83% the voltage drops to 11.83V.
Everything seems to work find e.g. I can start my onboard genset, etc. But if we are watching TV and the furnace kicks on the TV turns off. Once the furnace is up and running (2-3 minutes) I can turn the TV back on and it works fine.

Do I have a battery problem? Or could it be something else, e.g. I solder the lugs on the cable (I just ordered a crimper), etc?

Thanks

I converted to a EG4 12V 400AH battery (w/520W Solar) last summer. I changed over the setting on my solar charge controller and trailer converter-charger to lithium battery setting and I added a Victron Smart Shunt. The battery is mounted in the front crossover area in the trailer and I ran the battery cables (2/0) to the junction box under the trailer (Outdoor RV 24RKS 2022) to bus bars for distribution. All of the cables/wires that had been connected to the old lead acid batteries were moved to the bus bars.
The battery charges to +14.63V
Lower your charging voltage. Verify it with a meter. That's 3.6575v avg per cell, to high. I wouldn't go above 14.3v
using the panels according to the Smart Shunt. When the Smart Shunt says the battery is at 83% the voltage drops to 11.83V
11.83v @ 83% doesn't sound right, you should be nearing the bottom of the curve.
Everything seems to work find e.g. I can start my onboard genset, etc. But if we are watching TV and the furnace kicks on the TV turns off. Once the furnace is up and running (2-3 minutes) I can turn the TV back on and it works fine.
Sounds like some serious voltage drop on the AC side is occurring, causing the TV to trip. Do you have any AC lights or anything else that acts funny?
Do I have a battery problem? Or could it be something else, e.g. I solder the lugs on the cable (I just ordered a crimper), etc?

Thanks
How are your soldering skills?
I'd crimp and retest.

I use a buck/boost converter on my 12V TV to provide stable voltage. I have long lines of #14 and 12 wire to the TV and in the evening voltage and really drop down causing TV to turn on and off. The converter module solves this.

Back