diy solar

diy solar

Used panels without vinyl.

Hoodie

Hello, I am looking to putting a very large array on my house and found used panels at a great price from santansolar. The description says "Missing outside vinyl layer. Moisture barrier is intact". What purpose does the outside vinyl layer serve and should I buy panels missing it?

Got a link to them? Panels are glass faced so maybe something has happened to the back sheet of the panel, but that's pretty unusual thing to make go away.

Wow, it is the back of the sheet that is missing. The mind boggles at how that happened and to be honest I'm not even sure of the full consequences of that. The sheet itself would give better mechanical protection to the cells, making it harder for something to scratch or punch through during handling.

Wow, it is the back of the sheet that is missing. The mind boggles at how that happened and to be honest I'm not even sure of the full consequences of that. The sheet itself would give better mechanical protection to the cells, making it harder for something to scratch or punch through during handling.

Hey gnubie,
I’m looking into the same panels basically, obviously a different listing at this point but same issue. Do you think it would be worth while to buy these or do you think that panels missing the back like this is just a hard pass. I’m new to solar, I know basically nothing. And I’m trying to expand my array!

If the encapsulation is intact odds on they will be fine but they'd want to be really cheap for me to bite. TBH I'm still not even sure what the long term consequences of the backsheet missing would be.

I ordered some of these. Santan solar has a good reputation and they said on the listing that the power output of them is good that the EVA moisture barrier is still intact.

I also ordered a Boviet 370W for $145 because I want to try strapping that to the roof of my Honda Element for camping. For 20 of the backsheet problem panels for $600, the boviet and freight of $280, I paid $1023. I have a way to use and test them individually which I will do when they get here, but I don't have a way to mount or even use them all at the moment. I am hoping to find some backing to put on them and will sacrifice one or two to the test when I decide what I should use. I need to figure out what will provide the protection I want without damaging the panel and that is also something easy enough for me to apply. There are some other discussions on here about repairing backsheets and some discussion on other sites that I have seen, but some suggest uv curable coatings that I believe need specialized equipment.

I'll keep you posted when I get them and have tested them all and then when I figure out what to do about the missing backsheets. I thought it was worth it to try to get a cheap 5kW system. They're due to arrive late tomorrow. Maybe by next week I'll have a few tested and will have researched how I want to go about coating the back.

I was looking to get the same panels, 2 lots of 20. With 10 kw, would o most run my house. If I was to paint the back? Would that help protect the EVA moisture barrier?

I was thinking of using Rust-Oleum Professional Enamel Gloss White.

Rust-Oleum sometimes uses and oxide to prevent rust and I would want to know if it conducts current. Any vinyl paint should work. No need for rust prevention.

MY advice is to contact the MANUFACTURER of the solar panels and ASK THEM these questions ... personally I would NOT risk anything missing any layers UNLESS the manufacture clearly told me the ramifications ... YEP they may all be working great now -- then you get them on the roof -- a few months of blazing heat -- and suddenly you see why they were dumped on the market in the first place .... No harm reaching out to the manufacturer .. be honest .. tell them you are buying some of their used panels and just want some advice ....

I was looking to get the same panels, 2 lots of 20. With 10 kw, would o most run my house. If I was to paint the back? Would that help protect the EVA moisture barrier?

I wouldn't paint them with just anything. I've seen different suggestions on this forum and others out there. They're usually talking about some kind of silicon that doesn't have chemicals in it that would harm the ability of the panels to function.

ghostwriter66 - the panels have the manufacturer's label removed.

If the manufacturers label has been removed there is a chance that those were warranty returns. I had a warranty replacement on some BP panels a few years ago and the installer who helped me told me that all he had to do want tear off the labels and send them to the manufacturer and certify that he had discposed of them. Later I heard from the owner of that company that he had done a number of questionable side deals with customers so I suspected he probably sold them on Craigslist. I am not saying the SanTan did that but no one knows how they acquired them.

I checked my records and the panels I referred to above were 170 Watt from BP Solar. They worked fine but BP recalled them because they found that the solder joints between the cells were eroding over time. In 2013 they paid me $5000 for the panels which I had paid more for them several years earlier. At at that time I could purchase 25% more capacity in Canadian Solar panels brand new, which is what I did. BP Solar is no longer making panels.

I'm more interested in why the whole backing sheet was removed. The specs label I can understand since that identifies the manufacturer etc. Removing the backing sheet would be a fair amount of effort. At least in my experience they don't just peel off.

I'm more interested in why the whole backing sheet was removed.
Good question. The few pictures I saw had some partial removal so my guess is it was related perhaps to cutting the backing sheet to get the labels off in one piece. Maybe these came back on a warranty claim because the vinyl came off. In that case they may be worth reconditioning with vinyl paint.

Go check out the listing - there are images. Not all of them have the whole backsheet removed. Some have only cracking/localized peeling. The one I've looked at out of the 20 I have seems to have the entire backsheet removed. I haven't examined them well yet. I think they were poor backsheets and started coming off and maybe they pulled off what was hanging loose on them.

Last edited:
If the manufacturers label has been removed there is a chance that those were warranty returns. I had a warranty replacement on some BP panels a few years ago and the installer who helped me told me that all he had to do want tear off the labels and send them to the manufacturer and certify that he had discposed of them. Later I heard from the owner of that company that he had done a number of questionable side deals with customers so I suspected he probably sold them on Craigslist. I am not saying the SanTan did that but no one knows how they acquired them.

Based on some of what I've read there are some panels out there that have poorly performing backsheets on them because the manufacturers were trying to save pennies on the dollar and used some less than optimal material for the backsheets. These were probably some situation like this. I've also seen insurance covered stuff out there for sale too. Santan says they have good output... I haven't tested mine yet.

Last edited:
Back