diy solar

diy solar

Using 48v batteries in series to power delta pro

deserthi

I want to buy two 48V, 100amphr batteries to power my dual delta pros instead of buy the ecoflow extra batteries. I need to connect the 48V batteries in series to get over 1000watts of charging to the delta pro. My problem is that Signature solar says this will ruin the bms eventually so I am at a loss on how to do this or what batteries to buy to connet them in series.

How do you intend to connect the 48V batteries to the Delta Pro for charging? The solar charge port can accept up to 150v max with a charge rate of 15A. If you connect 48 V batteries in a series to achieve 96v output, you also need a method of regulating the amps---you don't want to dump 96V at 100A into the Delta Pro. With the bulk and weight of two Delta Pros and two 48v 100Ah batteries (rack mount I assume), you would be better off replacing the Delta Pros with one or two of Will's DIY Mobile 48V systems (less expensive all-in too): https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/mobile-48v-system.html

How do you intend to connect the 48V batteries to the Delta Pro for charging? The solar charge port can accept up to 150v max with a charge rate of 15A. If you connect 48 V batteries in a series to achieve 96v output, you also need a method of regulating the amps---you don't want to dump 96V at 100A into the Delta Pro. With the bulk and weight of two Delta Pros and two 48v 100Ah batteries (rack mount I assume), you would be better off replacing the Delta Pros with one or two of Will's DIY Mobile 48V systems (less expensive all-in too): https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/mobile-48v-system.html
It will only pull what it can from the battery

If you have a series of solar panels supplying 100V it will also do so at a specified maximum amperage, say 12A. This is a regulated and known flow of power and within the limits of the Delta Pro for DC power input through the solar charge port. A 48V or 96V battery can output that voltage at 100A. The Delta Pro cannot handle that kind of input (in the DC solar charge port), which is why it will get damaged.

If you have a series of solar panels supplying 100V it will also do so at a specified maximum amperage, say 12A. This is a regulated and known flow of power and within the limits of the Delta Pro for DC power input through the solar charge port. A 48V or 96V battery can output that voltage at 100A. The Delta Pro cannot handle that kind of input (in the DC solar charge port), which is why it will get damaged.
Current isn't pushed. It must be drawn.
The SCC will only draw what it wants. No matter how much current is available.
Voltage is where you have to be careful. Because Voltage is pushed. Voltage is pressure.

Current isn't pushed. It must be drawn.
The SCC will only draw what it wants. No matter how much current is available.
Voltage is where you have to be careful. Because Voltage is pushed. Voltage is pressure.
Interesting, yes I guess I didn't think about it that way. So why would what deserthi wants to do damage the BMS if he is within the SCC parameters? He would be under max voltage.

Really the only option you have if you are wanting to max out the solar input with your batteries is to get a boost converter.. The BMS FET's will not support you putting two of those rack batteries in series...

With just the 48v from your battery, you should be getting around 800watts input... I know that's far from the 1500 that it can max out, but how much current are you constantly drawing from the DP?

Why don't you just connect one 48v battery to one Delta Pro via the solar charge input utilizing the charge controller and doing the same thing with the other Delta Pro? That way you don't ruin your batteries.

I've used 48v batteries to charge up my Delta Pro using these cables.
How do you plan to charge the batteries? You will need a 48v battery charger.

How is this system going to be used?

Are you charging from solar or some other source?

It seems it would be a lot easier to just use the batteries and a separate inverter rather than the Delta. You can still charge the Delta from that battery bank and separate inverter using the internal charger with just a small loss in conversion. and you won't burn out the Delta

Just my thoughts!

Really the only option you have if you are wanting to max out the solar input with your batteries is to get a boost converter.. The BMS FET's will not support you putting two of those rack batteries in series...

With just the 48v from your battery, you should be getting around 800watts input... I know that's far from the 1500 that it can max out, but how much current are you constantly drawing from the DP?

I came to this same conclusion, about 800 watts... 800 watts x 24 hours = 19.2 Kwh per day. That's more than enough to move electrons from the third party battery to the DP. Who would have enough solar to make that power during the day?

I came to this same conclusion, about 800 watts... 800 watts x 24 hours = 19.2 Kwh per day. That's more than enough to move electrons from the third party battery to the DP. Who would have enough solar to make that power during the day?
Exactly.. Using a 5.12kWh external battery.. I figure one can deplete both the internal and external at the same time in 6.4 hours if pulling a average of 1362 watts.. I too wish I could do more, but I'm probably only pulling about 800 watts average when my son is using his gaming PC.. That keeps my fridge, large fish tank, internet, lights, etc running in my house.. If we cut out the PC the wattage gets cut in half pretty much.. That's a good amount of time..

Last edited:
I would like to go the inverter route. I just (Two months ago) bought two delta pros and the dual voltage hub because I am living in a 37' trailer. I made an offer on a house and got it so now I really want to sell the Delta pros so I can go with an inverter and server rack batteries but I need to sell the Delta pros first.
Two delta pros with dual voltage hub for $4100. I have them listed on facebook and craigslist but wanted folks here know about this deal.
I literally took the delta pros out of the box, updated the firmware and put them back into the boxes.

Last edited:
I would like to go the inverter route. I just (Two months ago) bought two delta pros and the dual voltage hub because I am living in a 37' trailer. I made an offer on a house and got it so now I really want to sell the Delta pros so I can go with an inverter and server rack batteries but I need to sell the Delta pros first.
Two delta pros with dual voltage hub for $4100. I have them listed on facebook and craigslist but wanted folks here know about this deal.
I literally took the delta pros out of the box, updated the firmware and put them back into the boxes.
You can sell them quickly on eBay.

I bought 6 aolithium server rack batteries to feed the DP’s. They haven’t shipped yet.

I found a step up converter to raise the server rack output voltage to 90v but it will be about 5% in power loss.

I also bought a DP extra battery ($1100) and thinking that’s a better way to go than the step up converter. Each DP/EB would be 7.2kwh and the server rack batteries would feed them at about 800wh. I’m guessing the DP batteries won’t be able to deplete quicker to zero than the server rack ability to keep feeding them.

The Smart Home Panel has been a rockstar so far. Also, just got all 28 380w panels on my roof and currently drawing from 12 of them. 6 are feeding each DP while I wait for the server rack batteries to arrive.

Back