diy solar

diy solar

Victron is 10 times as expensive as Voltronic

Also since my sungold is LF it can surge 3 times the rated capacity of 6kw to do 18kw for 3 seconds. No HF can do that.

HF Midnight Rosie can do similar and/or longer (specs seem to be a bit in flux from various sources, not nailed down in official data sheet. Not sure if that is firmware updates or conservative specs.)
7000W surge to 15,000 VA per Midnight site, 20,000 VA at Alt E store.

But not cheap. Two out of three ain't bad?

Now, split-phase with LF transformer can probably deliver entire surge at 120V.

HF Midnight Rosie can do similar and/or longer (specs seem to be a bit in flux from various sources, not nailed down in official data sheet. Not sure if that is firmware updates or conservative specs.)
7000W surge to 15,000 VA per Midnight site, 20,000 VA at Alt E store.

But not cheap. Two out of three ain't bad?

Now, split-phase with LF transformer can probably deliver entire surge at 120V.

I don't get the point of concerning with surge. You'd need to have thicker wiring and breakers just to surge for a few seconds before it what... shuts everything off?

No need for thicker wires or larger breakers.
Wires take a considerable time to heat up at the 5x current motors draw when starting.
Breakers don't fast trip below 5x nominal (give or take "curve" it has.)
Slow trip takes seconds to minutes or hours.

I now prefer magnetic-hydraulic for faster trip, could protect motors from thermal damage I think.

I don't get the point of concerning with surge. You'd need to have thicker wiring and breakers just to surge for a few seconds before it what... shuts everything off?
Lets say you have a 6kw inverter and you want to run something that uses 1500watts. No problem right? Maybe, maybe not.

That 1500watt device may use 1500 watts running but it may need 7500 watts to start. A well pump is a perfect example. It only needs the 7500 watts or more for a second or so to get going and then its back to 1500 watts. That's why surge matters.

Use a MicroAir Easy Start?

I see the only argument in favour of Victrons being more reliable is that they offer a 5 year guarantee compared to the 1 year guarantee from (most, I presume) Voltronic inverters. They can offer a longer guarantee even if they AREN'T more reliable, due to the huge price increase you have to pay.
If a £400 Anenji inverter was sold for £800, they could doubtless offer you a five year guarantee, because the extra four years are paid for with the extra £400 it costs.
Sunsynk inverters have a 5 year guarantee, and they are still much cheaper than Victron systems...

I see the only argument in favour of Victrons being more reliable is that they offer a 5 year guarantee compared to the 1 year guarantee from (most, I presume) Voltronic inverters. They can offer a longer guarantee even if they AREN'T more reliable, due to the huge price increase you have to pay.
If a £400 Anenji inverter was sold for £800, they could doubtless offer you a five year guarantee, because the extra four years are paid for with the extra £400 it costs.
Sunsynk inverters have a 5 year guarantee, and they are still much cheaper than Victron systems...
Victron offers a 10 year warranty upgrade for like 10%. Victron was founded in 1975 with a looong history of being reliable for almost 50 years. Sunsynk was 2012 voltronic 2008.

Will voltronic be making inverters in 3 years?

Again, all we are seeing is wishful thinking and speculation, no facts...
What is the total number of Voltronic inverters sold, compared to Victron components needed to match an All In One Victron unit? (That is comparing like with like). I imagine Voltronic have sold at least ten times as many inverters as Victron have, in the past ten years - does anybody have figures?

What is the total number of Voltronic inverters sold, compared to Victron components needed to match an All In One Victron unit? (That is comparing like with like). I imagine Voltronic have sold at least ten times as many inverters as Victron have, in the past ten years - does anybody have figures?
Probably just like I'm sure Chinese amazon brand sells 10,000x as many coolers as Yeti but doesn't mean it's any better.

Since Victron isn't public traded I couldn't find info on it.

There are no less than 5 businesses that sell Victron within 100 miles of me. Idk if any sell voltronic.
I imagine there’s at least 1 RV a day that you pass in the road with a Victron component

There are no less than 5 businesses that sell Victron within 100 miles of me. Idk if any sell voltronic.
I imagine there’s at least 1 RV a day that you pass in the road with a Victron component
Well that doesn't mean much either if they don't sell in china.

worldmarketshare.jpg

Well that doesn't mean much either if they don't sell in china.

View attachment 169290
95% of the Chinese (and much of east Asia) live in some sort of apartment. The rest are mostly farmers…and some of them live apartments too. Those that don’t live in apartments don’t usually have yards or gardens.

There are solar panels, sure, either solar farms or or on large agricultural barns (often a series of them, i.e hog CAFOs) but nearly all of them are on a scale that’s gotta be 3-phase.

Last edited:
Let me repeat what I wrote earlier on in the thread:

So an Anenji 6.2kW inverter for £282

https://www.anenji.com/products/anenji-6.2kw-48v-hybrid-solar-inverter-230v-off-grid-photovoltaic-inverter-pure-sine-wave-pv-60-500v-120a-mppt-solar-charge-controller
works fine with Solar Assistant, has 10ms Transfer Time, has WiFi output, 120A max MPPT solar charge current, 6500W max PV array, 500V max PV voltage.

How much would that cost with Victron, and how many separate components do you have to have cabled together?

And now we are onto "What does the Voltronic do that the Victron doesn't?"
Be so affordable that you don't have to worry about it going wrong, because a spare inverter is so cheap you can afford to buy three when you only need two?

Those defending Victron might want to go back and read my original post, where I said I don't want hearsay and beliefs presented as facts, I wanted EVIDENCE that it's worth spending the huge amount extra on Victron inverters. So far nobody has provided ANY evidence to this effect.
I think you should do a tear down to give us the evidence of how similar and dissimilar they are.

When you deal with something as essential as 24/7 electricity, some people will only buy something with a proven history of working. That history has value when you don't want to hassle with electricity being down.

If you are comfortable with the risk, have at it and save some coin. I would be interested in seeing your teardown video showing that they are if similar build quality.

I got a Multiplus off eBay for cheap. Fingers crossed it works... The European voltage multiplexes come in higher wattages. You could buy two Multiplus 5000s. (their only 4kW each I guess) or 4 Multiplus 3000s (2.4 kW x 4 = 9.6kW)

I got a Multiplus off eBay for cheap. Fingers crossed it works... The European voltage multiplexes come in higher wattages. You could buy two Multiplus 5000s. (their only 4kW each I guess) or 4 Multiplus 3000s (2.4 kW x 4 = 9.6kW)
FYI they have 10k MP in 120v

FYI they have 10k MP in 120v
A Multiples not Quattro inverter? I thought the highest 120V MP was the 5000 (4kw actually) available in 48V only. The smaller multi pluses are usually cheaper per kW on the used market. But they're made up to 1500 (12kW) in 240 volt 48V.

A Multiples not Quattro inverter? I thought the highest 120V MP was the 5000 (4kw actually) available in 48V only. The smaller multi pluses are usually cheaper per kW on the used market. But they're made up to 1500 (12kW) in 240 volt 48V.

Sorry Quattro, I still don’t see the huge differences between Quattro and MP unless it’s on the AC grid tie side.

Sorry Quattro, I still don’t see the huge differences between Quattro and MP unless it’s on the AC grid tie side.
True, if it's off grid, the multi-Plus is the best option if you're on a budget (like I am). There are a lot more used MP 3000 on the used market then Quattro so they don't resell it for as much. I think the Quattro is built better but victron is already a quality inverter.

Back